Our bug out & pleasure RV is a Ford F350 Diesel and 35ft 5th wheel trailer.

It is easy to forget that we are pulling it on flat ground.

So far we have gone up and over hills just fine...I-65 through the Smoky Mountains. Never had it to the Rockies, but I think it would do OK. I have run up some fairly steep grades in the Smokies, off-interstate, with no trouble. Coming down is what scares me, but the integrated tow braking in our truck has worked great so far.

Where I run into trouble is sharp and immediate change in grade. I have bumper-dragged the trailer more than once in this circumstance.

It seems like the truck would rip the trailer in half if the trailer ever got stuck. I haven't had shortage of power yet. However, it's a fuel pig, getting around 13 MPG while hauling.

After doing the math on our RV's power requirements, we went with a Honda EU3000 generator. It runs everything just fine, including the RV A/C and is surprisingly-quiet.

Eventually I will install a permanent cutover circuit in the RV. For now, I just connect the generator to the trailer using it's shore power cord.

Bottom line, for me, the 5th wheel seemed far less expensive than a comparably sized motorhome initially and long term. Trailers can be as luxurious as motorhomes but with a 5th wheel, you get a great big separate truck that you can use to do other fun things, like haul huge limbs from fallen trees.

I have plenty of uses for the truck by itself, which also includes running errands after we set up camp.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/28/07 05:21 AM)