Until advertisers pull or ratings fall, Bear's gig is assured.

TV executives eat up the kind of controversy that this board and the other site create, because controversy can drive ratings up. And for them, this marketing is free. I am pretty sure that creating "buzz" for a television show normally costs money.

Even if someone gets killed emulating Bear's stunts, I would bet on the event fueling even bigger ratings if CNN or Fox discovered a potential causal-connection between a TV show and a senseless death from drinking elephant turd water. Millions who never would have watched the show in the first place would tune in to make up their own minds.

TV executives are interested in improving ratings and/or increasing advertising dollars. Decisions are made from this perspective. If either of these are in jeopardy, then I would believe the exec's comments. Otherwise, I would chalk up the comments as a savvy executive helping to create "buzz" for his company's product.

IMO, the negative Bear threads do nothing but attract more viewers to his show.

By continuing these threads, we are willing accomplices in improving Bear's ratings.

The shows that nobody talks about are the ones that go away.

IMO, in this case, the quote "There is no such thing as bad publicity" rings true.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/26/07 07:17 AM)
Edit Reason: To give my two TV Executive friends a little more credit.