The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#102943 - 08/19/07 02:42 AM Re: bathtub raft [Re: frostbite]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There's a place called VJ's Bargain Barn that I pass about once every week or two. It has fiberglass tubs in the yard, so I see how they're made. They are NOT made to float.

Most of them are designed to fit in a tub-sized, walled enclosure. Both ends and the long side that fits against the wall just have lips to caulk to the walls. The front edge comes out and then goes down to the floor. So, you've got three short edges, and one that may hold air, and throw the thing off-balance. IOW, they look monumentally unstable to be on the wrong side of water. I think some also have air vents to help them drain.

They're rectangular on the outside, not what you'd call streamlined. I've paddled canoes that were kind of hard to paddle, and I'm sure they are tons better than a bathtub.

Now, an old-fashioned, claw-foot, free-standing bathtub, maybe. Its sort of like a boat. Kinda-sorta.

But you'd still need an awfully good plug.

I'd say an inner tube would be better. Not good, but more maneuverable. And you wouldn't have to detach it from plumbing.

If you're likely to have water problems like that, you'd best plan ahead.

Sue

#102974 - 08/19/07 02:01 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I wonder how well a door, easily removed by pulling the hinge pins, would work as an emergency floating device? Hard to paddle around of course, and you are gonna get wet, but one MIGHT keep one afloat long enough to be rescued. Probably better than treading water...

#102979 - 08/19/07 02:22 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I wonder how well a door, easily removed by pulling the hinge pins, would work as an emergency floating device?

I remember watching some History Channel program on the sinking of the Titanic quite a while ago. The program was about "what if's" if I remember correctly. Anyway, one idea that came out was that many more people could've been saved if the captain had used the thousands of doors that the Titanic had since there weren't enough life boats for everyone but they did have the luxury of time.

Set up some sort of containment ring on the ocean surface...I forget how they suggested it...then throw as many doors as possible into the ring to create a rudimentary floating platform. Not as good as a proper boat, of course, but it does seem to provide buoyancy and helps keep more of your body out of the frigid ocean water. Don't know how feasible this idea really is in real life, but you're not the first person to wonder if doors could be useful in this capacity.

#102984 - 08/19/07 02:52 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: Arney]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...you're not the first person to wonder..."

No surprises there...

#102992 - 08/19/07 03:59 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
So... does anyone have a swimming pool and an old door?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Sue

#102998 - 08/19/07 05:11 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: frostbite]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
You need to check out Clive Cussler's book, "Cyclops". The protagonist, Dirk Pitt, uses a bathtub to escape the evil doers in Cuba and sails to the Florida Keys.

Adventurist pulp fiction, but very entertaining! wink

#103000 - 08/19/07 05:19 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: BrianTexas]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

At the risk of hijacking this thing, I read (actually, struggled thru) one of the Pitt adventures, and that was more than I can take. Superhero types have never been my cup of coffee...

#103011 - 08/19/07 07:30 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: Burncycle]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Vancouver bathtub race apparently it is done, with some modifications, as a racing tub with a motor. I believe with a little quick effort it could work in an emergency.

After I did a search on Bathtub Racing, I discovered it is done in lot of places around the world.

Edited by frostbite (08/19/07 07:39 PM)
Edit Reason: 2nd paragraph

#103013 - 08/19/07 07:38 PM Re: bathtub raft [Re: frostbite]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...with some modifications..."

With SOME mods??? Judging from the pics, I think that you would have to start working on THOSE modifications well in advance of the emergency. I think you would be better off with a Jon boat coffee table...

#103042 - 08/20/07 02:59 AM Re: bathtub raft [Re: OldBaldGuy]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Use that inflatable mattress you may have for an extra bed.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren, chaosmagnet), 334 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.