Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#102991 - 08/19/07 03:52 PM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I think that you are going to have to make a case for a change in federal law. Require anyone who is providing an electronic messaging service to accept 911 calls at all times. Subscription, credit on cell phone or not. Make refusing to do so a federal offence.

As a point, I had Fire Marshal training last week. Took the oppotunity to have a chat with the serving Fire Officer doing the course. Just to clarify various issues about cellphones and giving position data using a G.P.S.

He tells me that:

In Europe and the U.K. any cellphone that has 999 (U.K. old emergency services no.) or 112 (pan-European) will override the P.I.N. security lock (if in use), lock on to any available network and pass the call. That's with or without credit (for pay as you go tariff's). I understand that this is a "voluntary" agreement between all the service providers.

I don't know what the legal position is in the United States but in the United Kingdom everyone has very specific dutys of care and a case could be made for charging anyone who refuses to render reasonable assistance with endangering life.

#102995 - 08/19/07 05:00 PM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Doug,
Any chance that the SPoT system will encourage the PLB industry to also have a non-emergency mode? Call it a system check mode, where it sends a signal which is automatically turned around in an email format to a designated email address -- no manual handling at all. The GPS version would incorporate any available GPS loc data into the email.

Just a thought. I like the non-emergency modes of SPoT, not too thrilled with subscription requirements in an emergency/survival tool.

#103004 - 08/19/07 05:54 PM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: Russ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: RAS
Doug,
Any chance that the SPoT system will encourage the PLB industry to also have a non-emergency mode? Call it a system check mode, where it sends a signal which is automatically turned around in an email format to a designated email address -- no manual handling at all. The GPS version would incorporate any available GPS loc data into the email.

Well, never say never my grandfather told me. grin

It's not really up to the "industry," there's more than the manufacturers, etc. involved. The issue for conventional 406 MHz PLBs is that they are part of an international system that is resistant to change and is understandably very focused on saving lives, period. The COSPAS-SARSAT system is also dependent upon satellites, ground stations and the like that are currently government controlled. Having said that, there's no technical reason it couldn't be done, but the politics and such would be difficult, to say the least. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Now, having said that, the next generation DASS system would allow a good deal more flexibility, if the PTB decide to make use of it. That's been a debate that's raged for quite some time noww. Companies like SPOT may help move that debate into more unconventional, non-traditional areas, maybe, possibly, grin but I still wouldn't hold my breath.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#103010 - 08/19/07 07:16 PM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Its funny, when I first started reading this thread - and before I read Doug's review - I expected the new system to be a text-entry version of the satellite telephone system - much like I can send text messages even when in the fringe of cell access.

First, I LOVE the orange color of the case. Orange is way cool.

Second, I was kind of shocked that this device has an onboard GPS. For the price that is pretty darn good.

Third, the long-term pricing seems similar. Over five years SPOT would cost $150 + $500 for five years of service, totalling $650 plus the cost of batteries. The ARC TerraFix w/ internal GPS costs $550 with a 5-year battery life.

Fourth, the PLB has the advantage of global access and a better response system. I also like that the PLB includes a short-range homing beacon, though I'm not sure how many SAR teams have the ability to use that signal. The SPOT's ability to send coordinates via e-mail is pretty slick - something that I would think would be easy for the COSPAS-SARSAT to do, BUT it would eat into what would be precious battery life if an emergency occurred.

I wonder what the consequences of someone sending a deliberately falls SPOT 911 signal would be. Probably similar to dialing 911.

Asside from concerns about the survivability of the GlobalStar system, this product sure appears to be a viable product, though it certainly doesn't have all the advantages of the COSPAS-SARSAT system. I'll still think PLB's are the way to go though.

#103012 - 08/19/07 07:35 PM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: Doug_Ritter]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the excellent info Doug. I find this stuff really interesting, both the technical aspects and the ingenuity of people creating new services.

Not to be a total wet blanket, but I am not yet convinced that a ham radio and a GPS receiver combo might not be just as useful, and more flexible. I don't think anyone makes one of those yet (RINO is FRS). Of course it requires (simple) licensing and some user knowledge, but the infrastructure is there, worldwide, and free. You don't have to rely on pre-designated people necessarily, plus you get instant feedback on your transmissions. Hams (should) know how to forward emergency info too. Of course this unit would cost more than $150, but it's a one-time cost and you have a generally useful device as well. To go along with your proper PLB that you only use when in distress, not just a spot of trouble.

I can't believe somebody would carry a SPOT in a pre-planned serious use situation and not also have a GPS receiver and a 2-way radio. I may not be looking at this right, but it seems to me some of these subscription low-initial-cost devices are preying on ignorance, and are primarily to give a feeling of safety/security more than actually definitely provide any. Seems to be a common marketing strategy these days for all sorts of goods.

Cynical and skeptical enough for ya?

#137677 - 06/25/08 10:58 PM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: cfraser]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

FWIW, the SPOT system is being used to track contestants in the Primal Quest adventure race which is currently underway.

-john

#137694 - 06/26/08 01:39 AM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: Doug_Ritter]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I would like a short description of PLB etiquette.

On another forum I read a description of hikers planning to use
one in either a medical emergency or for evacuation for lesser
problems. They didn't want to pay for the helicopter ride, so
were planning to use some sort of signal that would instruct
rescuers to send only state or fed machines rather than private
ambulance services. If sent a private machine they talked about
sueing in small claims court.

I'm pretty liberal and do SAR volunteer work, but
this lack of self responsibility and lack of planning to get yourself out
of a jam bothers me. It will bother me even more
when a helicopter goes down trying to get to someone with bad
blisters (or pulls a James Watt flying out from the grand canyon
due to boredom).

What are the correct uses of the PLB?

Edited by clearwater (06/26/08 01:39 AM)

#137695 - 06/26/08 01:57 AM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: clearwater]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

First, a PLB and SPOT are two different devices which operate differently. SPOT has the ability to send a "Help" message (to friends or family, etc.) as well as "911" (a Distress alert). There is no "etiquette" or standards or specific law with regards use of SPOT. I imagine that local and state laws related to false alerts and the like will be held applicable if it is abused. A PLB is legally supposed to be "used only in situations of grave and imminent danger." Obviously, this is subject to personal interpretation and can vary. What I find "grave and imminent danger" another person may not consider as such. An 80 year old person may find a situation a "grave and imminent danger" when someone half their age may not. This has been the situation for many years with all 406 MHz beacons and it has generally not been a problem. The bottom line is that authorities will consider a PLB distress alert as one where life is at risk and will respond accordingly. By and large, I'd expect the same will be the case for a SPOT 911 alert.

However, we already have had a case where an SPOT inadvertent false Help alert (unit turned on inside a pack) turned into a distress response when authorities were called by the alert recipient and only a last minute discovery by the SPOT user that the SPOT had been set off allowed him to cancel the alert with an OK signal. That is one possible advantage a SPOT has, but it was a design failure that more easily allows such alerts to be sent out inadvertently in the first place, compared to the PLB which has design standards in place to help prevent such things. This is a classic example of why SPOT's "Help" alert capability isn't quite all it's cracked up to be.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#137719 - 06/26/08 03:57 AM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
What I find "grave and imminent danger" another person may not consider as such.

Ha ha. That's pretty funny Doug. Somehow, I suspect the inverse more likely. :-)

-john

#137784 - 06/26/08 04:28 PM Re: First Look at SPOT Satellite Messenger [Re: JohnN]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I think that Doug may perhaps signal distress when afore mentioned grizzly bear is trying to chomp on his melon... ;-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.