Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101505 - 08/03/07 08:42 PM Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Bags?
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Hi,

I am new here so I might not be driving the search system right, but I cannot find any mention of 'Blizzard Survival Bags'.

They look ideal for compact emergency kits such as car and plane and seem to be finding favour with SAR and military users, has anyone got any experiences with them?

Blizzard Survival's website

cheers
OIMO
p.s. Before anyone asks, as this is my first post, I am not affiliated with them in any way!

#101508 - 08/03/07 09:34 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Bags? [Re: OIMO]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
The only mention I found was under "survival bag" written by Jim on 7/17/06. But even that wasn't the same thing.

Interesting looking option though. Might want to drop $20 on the vest or something in the future.

#101514 - 08/03/07 11:36 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: OIMO]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Looks like the same technology as the MPI Outdoor Products Extreme Pro-Tech Series. There have been a few posts mentioning it here, but it would be nice to see an in-depth review, or even better some sort of testing results.

-john

#101516 - 08/03/07 11:39 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: JohnN]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: JohnN

Looks like the same technology as the MPI Outdoor Products Extreme Pro-Tech Series. There have been a few posts mentioning it here, but it would be nice to see an in-depth review, or even better some sort of testing results.

-john

Looks like the same thing. I don't see where to purchase, or price of it, though. Any ideas?

#101533 - 08/04/07 01:24 AM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: MDinana]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Hmmm "Original SPACE® BLANKET Products"... space blankets even sleeping bag ones are loud, fragile, and not as warm as everyone thinks.

RedFlare sells a nice one w/a pouch I suggest for the price... very similar.

#101538 - 08/04/07 02:16 AM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: MDinana]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MDinana

Looks like the same thing. I don't see where to purchase, or price of it, though. Any ideas?

http://www.botac.com/prodbyman.html

Scroll down or search for "MPI Extreme Pro".

-john

#101539 - 08/04/07 02:17 AM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: Todd W]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Hmmm "Original SPACE® BLANKET Products"... space blankets even sleeping bag ones are loud, fragile, and not as warm as everyone thinks.

Agreed, but these are not just the thin mylar "original"s, but a sandwich construction supposedly able to trap air.

No idea if it really works or not tho. No idea how well built they are either.

-john

#101542 - 08/04/07 03:07 AM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: JohnN]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OIMO, First, the courtesy of a welcome to the forum. Blizzard Bags have been a UK product for several years and are now available worldwide, with a US distributor in Texas. I hope to test one in the near future. Anecdotaly my UK contacts are all favourable to it's carry and use. This includes winter climbers in Scotland and a member of the RNLI. I would be very carefull of ALL charts and graphs with formulae 'showing' X product performs at some %level vs product Z. The best of formulae, and some are GIGO, are at best approximations of the real world and at worse sales hype. Back to my collected, anecdotal, real world observations. The Blizzard Bag does require a bit of care to enjoy full performance. This translates into first trying one out at home and becoming familiar with the nuances of use, not in the first stage of hypotermia in the dark on the Pennines. It is EMERGENCY KIT, not a dedicated sleeping bag on the cheap. It's virtue is acceptable performance for the qualities of reduced wieght and bulk. For that it is a good product to stow in the Landy- and probably lets in less cold air.

#101548 - 08/04/07 04:10 AM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Good info Chris! For the price I hope to test one too.

-Todd

#101560 - 08/04/07 08:23 AM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: Todd W]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I have seen them at my local outdoor-store, but they were very expensive (>€40) and I thought they were basically a couple of space-bags put over eachother and then vacuum-packet, so I didn't buy one. I did talk with the retailer about it and he found it to be fragile and noisy, wich is similair to a 'regulair' space-blanket wink.

Instead, I imported a AMK thermolite II bivvy amd a heatsheet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.