Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101495 - 08/03/07 07:40 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: bsmith]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Dang! I thought I checked all those before making it live. Oh well, fixed now, thanks for the head's up.

I really don't understand why the !@#)#* computer can't read my mind and type what I meant to type instead of what my fingers decide to do on their own. <g>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#101501 - 08/03/07 08:04 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
You could, theoretically, outfit a scout troop or young children with this device and perhaps we'd lose less of both if they could be more easily found.

FWIW, I would think something like the Garmin Astro dog tracking system would be much better technology (yes, more expensive) for this type of issue. Strap one of these puppies to the top of everyone's pack, and off you go.

The gotcha is the use of line-of-sight radio, which adds a serious limitation.

I'd love to see something like the Garmin Astro, but with some sort of satellite packet data for the updates.

Heck, if you had something like that, and then added an emergency button on it, you could have quite an effective tool for hikers, SAR, wilderness firefighters and even tracking your dogs while out in the woods.

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/03/07 08:07 PM)

#101511 - 08/03/07 10:55 PM Re: File an FTC Complaint NOW! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I would encourage anyone who feels that this misrepresentation potentially endangers the consumer to file a complaint with the FTC and the sooner the better! Can't say more than that.

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#101512 - 08/03/07 11:05 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: JohnN]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Besides all the technical things people have mentioned: $150 for what is essentially a really stripped down FRS radio? They gotta be kidding!

Based on my experience with FRS range in even fairly open conditions, with more than 50mW, this "PLB" system has got to be totally relying on some very sensitive and I presume expensive RDF receivers. That aren't out there.

It seems to me almost like selling GPS receivers before the first GPS satellite was launched. Telling people how it would show their location exactly etc. etc., yet there not actually being any means to do that yet.

IOW you are selling safety (and maybe security) that doesn't really exist, it's a false sense and IMO bad because it may prevent you from doing something better.

The vast majority of consumers have no idea how their electronic gadgets work. Even things like cell phones...forget about communications radios or GPS or PLBs. They take it on faith. I am sure certain people are counting on that. People who are informed would not be fooled by this and would get a real PLB, they're not the issue.

If FRS channel 1 became an emergency standard, wouldn't ANY cheap FRS radio be just as good as TracMe, and a bit more flexible too?

I think selling RDF gear for cell phones would probably be more useful to more people, and would save more people. But then this company wouldn't have their own market.
Edit: obviously this would be more complicated as there's many more transmission options with cell phones. I just suggested them because more people (especially kids) have them these days, and probably always with them too.

#101606 - 08/04/07 08:49 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: cfraser]
HTMLSpinnr
Unregistered

I too am looking forward to the review. I was in the plane behind Doug during part of the testing, and have some comments that I'll append to full review discussion.

#101640 - 08/05/07 12:52 AM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: ]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
Let's hope that most people will balk at the obscenely high price tag and pass on the purchase of this thing. Of course, if this thing actually makes it to stores, we can educate the management/sales staff regarding the difference between it and the real PLBs and mention their liability should someone try to use it in a rescue situation. Just a thought.

#101860 - 08/07/07 01:20 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

FYI, noticed that this has been posted on digg:

http://digg.com/gadgets/Bogus_Locator_Beacon_A_Useless_Toy

Only one comment and digg so far...
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#101910 - 08/07/07 07:58 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

TRACEME has submitted registration for the Forum. I have approved their request. I will monitor any threads VERY carefully. Please remember this is a survival forum and not roman, though I think the lions are smelling the wind.

#102024 - 08/08/07 06:46 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Has anyone checked out another "PLB-like" product that was announced yesterday?

Its called the "spot". Check it out at the following URLs:

1.Media announcement: (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site...amp;newsLang=en)

2. Company page: (http://www.findmespot.com/)

Supposedly it uses GPS to broadcast your coordinates to a website for friends, family and emergency services. Its relatively cheap ($150) and requires a subscription. It should be released for sale this November. This company also makes some pretty steep claims of reliability. Hopefully its not another false assurance sold to unsuspecting outdoor consumers like the TraceMe product. Perhaps this should be Doug's next blog entry ;^).

Cheers,

#102028 - 08/08/07 07:10 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Loganenator]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I'll be meeting with the SPOT folks at Outdoor Retailer later this week. I'll have more in my OR report.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.