Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#101913 - 08/07/07 08:08 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: JIM]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The US distributor has kindly offered to send one unit to me for evaluation. I have access to a walk in meat locker and will post my findings later.

#101915 - 08/07/07 08:10 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

This is great! Can't wait to hear the report!

-john

#101918 - 08/07/07 08:43 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: JohnN]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

Cool I just contacted them asking about retail pricing. The website for the US distribtor is http://www.ps-med.com/index.html . I look forward to the review maybe you can compare it to the AMK products.

#101988 - 08/08/07 02:59 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I have access to a walk in meat locker and will post my findings later

A slight word of caution. According to the manufacturers data the indpendent test performed by Leeds University gives the Blizzard Bag a TOG rating of around 8. This would be equivalent to a summer bag i.e a 0.8Kg good down mummy bag. According to the EN13537 specification this would equate to a lower limit of comfort of around +3 degrees Celcius and an extreme temperature rating of around -5 C to -9 C. (serious risk of death through hypothermia) If your going to use the Blizzard bag as intended in real world i.e lying on your rucksac then I seriously doubt that the bag will be able to cope with any temperatures below freezing i.e. 0C for any extended periods i.e. greater than 3 to 4 hours without a suffering a cold weather type injury. If your meat locker is at -18 C then I would be be surprised if you last more than a couple of hours at this temperature before being carted off to the ER to be thawed out. The name Blizzard bag is slightly misleading. Scottish mist bag would be more appropriate.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/08/07 03:01 PM)

#101997 - 08/08/07 04:09 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
That might be true if the meat locker is to keep the meat frozen (most household freezers are –20C and ultra-low freezers are between –70C to –86C), but if it designed to keep the meat cold, most would be in the temperature range of 4C (approximately 40F).

Pete

#102002 - 08/08/07 04:37 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
According to the manufacturers data the indpendent test performed by Leeds University gives the Blizzard Bag a TOG rating of around 8. This would be equivalent to a summer bag i.e a 0.8Kg good down mummy bag. According to the EN13537 specification this would equate to a lower limit of comfort of around +3 degrees Celcius and an extreme temperature rating of around -5 C to -9 C. (serious risk of death through hypothermia)

How does this compare to other, singled walled bags?

Thanks,

-john

#102016 - 08/08/07 06:07 PM Re: Sleeping Bag, opinions on Blizzard Survival Ba [Re: JohnN]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi JohnN,

There really is no comparison to other singled walled bags. The Blizzard Bag will outperform any other singled walled bags either the mylar or the more durable thicker plastic types. The other types will have a TOG value of between 2 or 4. The lower limits for comfort EN13537 will be around 15 C to 12 C with extreme values around 7 C to 4 C. These single wall bags are very poor performers in terms of thermal insulation as most heat loss from the body is due to conduction and convection heat losses. I must also caveat the temperature ratings by saying that this assumes that there is some form of reasonable insulation from the ground whether that it is in the form of a ground mat, tree branches, grass or heather etc. These bags also have a major downside (including the Blizzard Bag) also in that they are not moisture permeable and will therefore result in a very uncomfortable night in the wilderness due to the progressive damp induced cold/cooling effect feeling they will cause. Are they any advantages? These bags will keep the wind and rain out initially and keep some heat in, but for only a short duration i.e. they will stave of hypothermia for a period of time i.e. a few hours in conditions where hypothermia may take hold in less than an hour. The Blizard Bag will be much better than the single wall bag types. The Blizzard bag weighs in at 385gms and is very compact. It is certainly better than nothing at all during the spring, summer and autumn months but more substaintial precautions against the cold wintery conditions should be employed once the thermometer falls below 5 C.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/08/07 06:09 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.