The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101323 - 08/02/07 02:45 AM Bridge collapse and a person's EDC
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Once again, a prime example has occurred that goes back to a person involved in this incident will only have what they carried at the time of the accident. And there is no rhyme or reason of when one might need their EDC.

I can see where a Buck 110 lock blade and my charged cellphone would have been useful, but the lighter, cigarettes, and pocket watch would not have been of much use.

#101335 - 08/02/07 05:05 AM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Will electric windows open while a vehicle is under water?

Sue

#101340 - 08/02/07 06:05 AM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: Susan]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
If there were winders installed, would anyone except granny remember how to use them?

#101341 - 08/02/07 06:07 AM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: Susan]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Susan

I've read a half-dozen or more accounts of car submersions (where equipped with electric windows). In every instance, the electric windows failed to function near-immediately. Might be exceptions, but I wouldn't want to count on it.

Wildman800's comments about EDC in a tragedy of this sort ... a reminder that an inexpensive tool like the ResQMe for windows and seatbelts is a worthwhile addition to car-interior EDC .

Thoughts and prayers to those involved in the bridge collapse and their families.

Dan

#101342 - 08/02/07 10:12 AM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

Sue

Usually, no.
I have a window punch & seatbelt cutter in every vehicle, located right where I can reach it without opening any latches.

But 64' is a LONG way to fall, I fear many were incapacitated and drowned, a horrible death.

#101345 - 08/02/07 12:12 PM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sue

Mythbusters recently tested this.
Remember water does not conduct electricity, its the impurities in water that does and even then its not a great conductor so its resistance is higher than that of the electric motor so the motor still gets most of the power.
The problem comes from the amounf of pressure pushing in ward on the window making it impossible to slide it down. The motor would actually work it just couldn't move the window and neither could the manual windows.
But if you waited long enough to where the car was full of water then the windows would roll down normally.

#101379 - 08/02/07 04:50 PM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: MartinFocazio]
likemclever Offline
stranger

Loc: Kansas
You could probably keep and extra spark plug in the side of your door to accomplish the same thing, couldn't you? It wouldn't cut your seatbelt but you would have an extra spark plug.

I don't know anything about cars (yeah I know shame on me) so I'm not sure that one spark plug would help if you needed it for your car. Don't they normally require more than one.

#101421 - 08/03/07 02:44 AM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"But 64' is a LONG way to fall..."

Actually, I read today that several people said it didn't just drop straight down all at once, but went down sort of stair-stepping, in three or four steps... slam, jolt, slam, smash.

Just the same, how many people would be cool enough, have the knowledge, and be conscious or not impaired enough to get out? The last I read, they're expecting about 30 deaths. $hitty way to die.

Sue

#101429 - 08/03/07 02:30 AM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: Susan]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -

#101436 - 08/03/07 04:05 AM Re: Bridge collapse and a person's EDC [Re: Susan]
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
$hitty way to die.

Yeah, well, I can't think of a good one, unless maybe it's heart attack or stroke while gettin' freaky with Charlize Theron.

In situations like this, the EDC or emergency items carried by the victims would be nearly useless due to their injuries and the positions of their vehicles.

However, I think the gear carried by the folks nearby who were not involved but rushed in selflessly, in some cases putting their own safety at risk, to help - that gear might just come in handy. Knives, punches, prybars, and especially first-aid, supplies, blankets, and water, would be very useful until the pros got to the scene.

I wonder how long it took for fire and rescue to arrive on the scene? It was the middle of the rush hour, and the traffic was practically at a standstill as it was, but the disaster probably caused gridlock for miles in all directions and made it tough for the rescue workers to get there. It's in that gap, the time between the disaster and the arrival of professional rescue help, that our EDC gear can be vital to the survival of the victims.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.