Sigh. Somewhat predictably, Garmin managed not to answer my questions.

I wrote:
Quote:
My 60CSx has menu options for Alkaline, NiNH and Lithium-Ion batteries. I have always used lithium *primary* batteries (Energizer L91) in my previous Garmin units to save on weight, extend shelf life, and provide optimal performance. My previous units have always had a menu option for lithium which I took to mean lithium primary. May lithium primaries be used in the 60CSx? If so, what menu option should I choose? If not, will there be a firmware update adding this support? Also, what type of lithium ion batteries may be used in the unit? My understand if the AA sized lithium ion batteries (14500) is they are 3.6 volt. Can this really be used? If so, this would be nice. If this is the case, will the unit do battery protection, or must protected batteries be used? Thanks! -john

They responded:
Quote:
After reviewing the properties of Lithium batteries and having tested their use in the GPSMAP 60Cx/CSx, our engineers have determined that attempts to alter/update the firmware will not eliminate shutdowns due higher voltages measured on new Lithium batteries. Use of Alkaline and NiMH batteries is the recommended and best solution.

It has a option maked "Lithium Ion" in the menu for cryin' out loud. Can't they at least address what that means?!

In any case, I'm getting the idea that it is unlikely that we will see lithium battery support in the 60CSx. :-(

-john