Jess, greetings from a fellow NY Metro urbanite. Guys some of us like city life and are determined not to let the Zombies or the fear they engender, drive us out. Good thought to improve your pocketable EDC. In my experience the following is OK even in high security buidings: 1 or 2 hot ironed orange bandannas,carried in a gerber breastmilk bag, you can also attach some flat rolled duct or Gorilla tape; key chain with 2 photons (or flashlight of your choice), Swiss
-Tech Util-Key;compass, Bison or other whistle, P-38, aluminum capsule with meds; in your wallet, cash, various denominations,$100-$500, 4 quarters, flat magnifier,emergency ID info card, credit card, license, etc.; 3M N-95 9211 respirator (very flat); cellphone and if you don't have to go thru a metal detector; a Leathererman Juice Tool or SAK of your choice. By the way, good catch on deciding to head up-wind. I'm not sure I would have thought of it as soon as you did. Lastly, my briefcase carried emergency kit is packed in a North Face fanny pack which has its own bottle pockets and compression straps.