Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#100000 - 07/17/07 02:31 AM Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I know awhile some people were looking for some knives, theres a few yard hooks over at SYKW and some M6's over at swamp rat if anybody is interested. These knives are some of the toughest around. I try to keep people updated from time to time, if they are looking for Busie knives since they are very hard to come by this way they don't have to keep bouncing back and forth all the time. These knives make great additions to your BOB if your interested. I don't sell them nor get any kick backs, just letting you know the store has dome product in.

https://shop.scrapyardknives.com/categoryNavigationDocument.hg?categoryId=4
https://www.shop.ratknives.com/

The Yard Hook features a 7” long blade of Scrap Yard SR 77 steel mated with a hand-filling, ergonomic Resiprene C handle. The Yard Hook is ready for heavy abuse in the harshest environment. The blade catch located in front of the integral thumb ramp provides an extra level of protection when the Yard Hook is deployed as a fighter. This wide body re-curved blade is equally effective in both a wilderness environment and a combat zone. The gentle re-curve of the primary edge has been proven throughout history to draw objects in towards the cutting edge.

#101522 - 08/03/07 11:59 PM Re: Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store [Re: falcon5000]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Those are some great knives - how do they stack up to beckers?

#101561 - 08/04/07 12:30 PM Re: Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store [Re: RobertRogers]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I personal don't own a Becker but almost bought one awhile back until I discovered Scrap Yard knives. They are extremely tough knives and have a unconditional lifetime warranty that says you can't destroy it basically, but the rules are you can't use machinery to destroy it (no putting it in a caterpillar actuator or a press). You can batting it all you want to cut down any type tree and if it breaks they will replace it, all they asked is that you tell them how you did it. The down side of these knives are that they are very thick and a little more heaver, but when you chop trees they hold a edge for a long time and resharpening it is a breeze with a ceramic rod. The best way to find out the true difference is to post this question on this forum: http://www.scrapyardknives.com/ubbthread...=true#Post96875
and there are several guys who own becker knives as well as ranger knives but trust there survival to Bussie knives, weather it's Bussie Combat,Scrap Yard or Swamp Rat. I can't give you an answer to the question because I don't own a becker but Horn Dog could give you a better answer with all the tests they do. I have a Yard dog which is like the Yard Hook but without the hook and it's a very well built knife, very heavy but I doubt you will break it. The best EDC knives I've seen is a Dumpster Mutt and Yard Keeper, I use to love the mutt till I got the keeper now I've switched to it now. If you will post over there, they can give you an idea of the pros and cons of the becker. Here is some ideas of the knives.

http://www.scrapyardknives.com/ubbthread...ge=0#Post104225

Here my lovely assistant holds the Dumpster mutt, Yard Keeper, and Buck for thickness comparison.

http://www.scrapyardknives.com/ubbthread...=true#Post96875

Here are the final pics of our extensive, destructive testing! The first pics show the enormous lateral strength of the Dog Father! We bolted a 4-foot long solid steel bar to the tang of the Dog Father and then bent it all the way to the floor without breaking! The knife remains unbroken!

The pic below shows the cutting and edge holding horsepower of the Dog Father!. . . We cut over 300 pieces of 1inch hemp rope without dulling! Our deep proprietary heat treatment and cryogenic treatment sets our SR-77 apart from any other S-7 blades on the market. We’ll be more than happy to perform a LIVE side-by-side cutting demonstration against ANY other maker or manufacturer with their version of S-7! The Dog Father will spank them!

The pics below show the Dog Father during and after chopping through 2 concrete blocks! You can see the chunks flying in the first pic! The other pics show the edge AFTER the concrete buffet! The extremely minor edge deformation was easily fixed with very little sharpening!

#101562 - 08/04/07 12:34 PM Re: Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

They also make great sheaths as well, here's one for my bolo mutt combo and I'm getting one with a dogfather yard keeper combo.

#101851 - 08/07/07 08:44 AM Re: Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store [Re: falcon5000]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I bought a yard hook recently and I have owned a Becker Brute for years. The yard hook is almost as heavy as the Brute and could easily replace it for heavy duty cutting chores around the camp and elsewhere. The Brute was sharp, but nothing like the yard hook. I easily chopped half-way through a cardboard box with the top flap pulled down alongside the side of the box, so I was cutting through two layers of heavy duty cardboard. A really half-hearted swing at the box cut through about 5 inches. I'm very impressed with the hook.

#101854 - 08/07/07 11:39 AM Re: Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store [Re: saniterra]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

saniterra, Congratulations on the hook. I don't own a becker but I was curious to which one had a thicker blade, the hook or the becker. Be careful with the scrapyard knives, they are very addictive (one of those things where you can't buy just one) One day if you want an awesome EDC knife check out the Dumpster mutt or Yard Keeper I think you'll enjoy these for edc. The scrapyard blades hold a edge for quite a while and are easy resharpened with a ceramic rod or sand paper and a mouse pad. These knives are very strong and guaranteed for life, go out there and tear it up and see what you can do with it. A lot of guys baton them on bigger trees and try to destroy it but it keeps coming back for more. Dan (scrapyard knives) is a great guy to do business with and he's fixing to come out with another one soon. Good luck and congratulations.

P.S. Also if you want an awesome sheath for it, PM rainwalker in the forum, he made the sheath above and makes high quality sheaths for a great price.

#101859 - 08/07/07 12:53 PM Re: Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store [Re: RobertRogers]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
Those are some great knives - how do they stack up to beckers?

They appear to be fine knives for sure, but they are a lot more money than the Beckers were. The Yard hook is $119.95 and the M6 goes for $178.95. By comparison, the Beckers (when they were readily available) went for $48 (the BK7 & BK10) and $79 (The Brute.)

#101969 - 08/08/07 09:21 AM Re: Some M6 and Yard hooks are in the store [Re: falcon5000]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
Actually, I probably would have purchased the Yard Guard rather than the hook had one been available. The hook on the Yard Hook has something of a funky look, but I have grown accustomed to it. It is not a bad feature on a combat knife. The blade thickness on the Yard Hook and Brute are nearly the same but the advantage goes to the hook. I also give advantage by a wide margin to the hook on the handle, which is not as thick as the Brute's, but is much more comfortable and not as likely to slip when it's wet - the Brute's handle is some sort of matte finish hard plastic as opposed to the rubber-like material on the Hook.

When I bought mine, I also got one of Scrapyard's sheaths - a kydex liner in a cordura sheath. The web site says it is a six inch sheath, but it fits the Hook nicely, with a little room length-wise to spare.

I would classify the Brute as a chopper, not a cutter. The Hook on the other hand is both a chopper and a cutter and a combat knife as well. I just can't see the Brute as a combat knife, more of a short heavy machete, but in a pinch, I suppose it would do. Plus the Hook fits nicely in the bottom of my EDC/3-day bugout bag - a Maxpedition Tactical operator.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.