JohnBaker,<br><br>...continuing the conversation in the Campfire forum...<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Naturally, I have a 4X high powered rifle scope mounted on it. I also have a Rem 541 which inherited a superseded older Leupold Vari X III 3 1/2 - 10X with AO <p><hr></blockquote><p> I have no doubt that if your Rem 541 is in good condition, it will still outshoot your 10-22... but you can narrow the gap.<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>A few years ago, I did a dozen or so recoil pad installations myself, and thereby justified to my wife the purchase of a lot of new tools<p><hr></blockquote><p> Funny, that approach works for me, too - you don't suppose women have us figured out and are just humoring us, do you??? Somewhat seriously - when I bought a small lathe and mill a couple of years ago, she got very enthusiastic about it when I was able to quickly fabricate parts that SHE was interested in - like the evening the clothes dryer shucked a part - she took the dryer apart, brought the contiguous parts to me and asked if I could make a replacement - took 15 minutes (thankfully a simple part) and she tells folks "...and it's still running just as smoothly as new..."<br><br>Applying that to your 10-22, it's obvious that you need to purchase a second used 10-22 for your wife "so we can look like each other at the range", and fix it up for her (complete with new scope). Take her and the 10-22s to the range with a bunch of ammo and dynamic/reactive targets and make sure she has fun shooting her "new" rifle while you miss and mutter a lot. Then, she will say something about it being such a pity that your old one doesn't shoot or look so well... get the idea? I think RedGreen must tap into my thoughts sometimes, I swear,,, <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>By the way, our most accurate rifle is actually my wife's--a bargain Rem 788 in .243 Win that was a demo model I got for a pittance<p><hr></blockquote><p> Arrrgh! Lucky - IMO, Remington screwed up when they quit making the 788s. At one time I had a (used) 788 in 22-250 that was da bomb - and in a fit of stupidity as a poor Lieutenant in Alaska, I traded it and some other stuff for some other shooting irons... NEVER sell or swap guns, that's what I learned, yup. Sooner or later, regrets creep in... Anyway, oddly enough, MY wife has the most accurate rifle here <grin>. My best buddy gave me a M77 V in 22-250 (slightly used; B-day present, If I Recall Correctly). We shot it out - throat was getting really long and I couldn't seat bullets out far enough to compensate anymore. So I sent it off to NY to Hart for a total remake - action job, super heavy barrel, the works. It's now chambered for Rem 6mm Bench Rest with a twist appropriate to be re-chambered to .243 if and when we shoot the throat out of it. <br><br>(I gave her the rifle at the time I sent it out for the work BECAUSE she kept swiping the M77 Mk II V gun in .223 that SHE gave me - "This is so accurate, I just love shooting it...." - I killed two birds with one stone. However, if I had been smarter, I would have given her the M77 Mk II V gun... her 6mm BR is a little more accurate than my .223 and a lot more versitile - maybe I was out manouvered...?)<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I also tested a large variety of ammo several years ago. Some of my best results were with some older lots of Rem. & CCI SV.<p><hr></blockquote><p> I'm not brand-name conscious with ammo - mostly I reload anyway (some exceptions - it's not worth trying to beat Federal Gold Medal match 30-06 in my match M1, for example, so I just shoot it). All I care about is performance, not who made it. But in rifle after rifle and pistol after pistol, right now the Remington "Target" (really just standard velocity) and Remington Sub-Sonic gives very consistent results for us. It's the "best value" in all our guns in the accuracy/cost equation. As a bonus, it's noticably quieter in our rifles - no supersonic crack. I'm therefore not surprised that the Remington HV stuff shoots OK - oh! You're talking about the Thunderbolt or Lightning stuff. Hmmm. If you like that ammo, give a brick of subsonics a whirl. Also, try the Winchester Xpert22 HP. I read a couple of years ago that it is made on a new line with better tolerances, even though it is bulk packed. All I can say is that it shoots the pants off the more expensive Winchester stuff and is the only HV ammo so far that runs neck-and-neck with the accurate stuff in our rifles. Bonus: it's cheap.<br><br>Well, I've run off at the mouth long enough...<br><br>Good shooting,<br><br>Scouter Tom