In my State, permits to carry concealed weapons are not available to private citizens. Only law enforcement officers are afforded that privilege. I am a D.A. and I have appointed several unpaid "public service" investigators which makes them sworn officers with full police powers. This is definitely NOT a Posse or Militia situation--just the opposite. In fact, I have vigorously prosecuted members of both groups. It is simply my notion that my community can be a safer place if very conscientious, highly stable people carry weapons if they are qualified and emotionally suited to do so. <br><br>That leads to my questions. <br>1. Is anyone aware of a good screening tool or tools that might be appropriate to require of participants? I have zero budget for this, so it would pretty much have to be something I could administer personally. <br>2. Has anyone taken or been made aware of a model 8-16 hour training/certification program that could be adminstered by competent volunteers? <br><br> I would greatly appreciate any ideas. Also, any opinions as to whether this type of program is a good or terrible idea would be welcomed.<br><br>I hope that no one sees this type of question as a misuse of this site. If so--please let me know. I have seen so much expertise and good common-sense advice come from these forums, I thought I would try to tap in on some of that expertise for free! <br><br><br>