Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#269878 - 05/13/14 08:34 PM EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry?
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I was somewhat surprised by the following news report that about 10% of folks in the U.S. carry no cash on a daily basis. In fact, (according to them) 78% carry less than $50, and 49% less than $20, and fully 9% nothing. The link is:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101664403

This is a lot less (given present prices) than I do. Without going into numbers, I carry enough for: 1 full tank of gas at 4-5 dollars a gallon; some food and water (e.g. 1 day's worth), and enough to cover miscellaneous out of pocket.

An example of how this helped me: about 3 years ago I got a flat tire and pulled off the road to change it. Due to some then unresolved medical problems, I could not quite change it by myself (but was working at it) when a homeless guy came by and offered to do for me for $20. He did, I had the cash and it was well spent. (BTW, it was a busy road and no one else stopped. . .)

What are your ideas on carry of cash on an EDC basis and how much or for what contingencies?

#269880 - 05/13/14 08:46 PM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: bws48]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
People who choose to not carry cash because they think they can get everything they want with plastic are making a mistake. Twice I've been parked in an expensive downtown parking garage where there was no attendant and the connection to the credit card company was down. In another memorable case I paid a cash bond to be on my way for a moving violation. Let me hasten to add that this was not any kind of bribery -- the trooper issued me a receipt and when I won in court I got my money back.

Right now I have about $300 in my wallet, which is the minimum I like to have for significant travel. I recently returned from a business trip and didn't use much of my traveling cash. If we're going on a long road trip it might be $500.

For day to day I like to have around $200. This allows for a tank of gas, getting out of a downtown parking garage, tips for various purposes, a meal or two, and so on. It should be enough for me to get in an expensive city cab and get a ride all the way home, if I took the train or my car breaks down.

#269881 - 05/13/14 09:25 PM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm in the 22% that carries more than $50 wink

#269884 - 05/13/14 09:57 PM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: bws48]
ajax Offline

Day to day, I keep a spare $20 in each car a $20 in my wallet and $100 in my GHB.

On road trips further than 100 miles: $500+

#269887 - 05/14/14 12:19 AM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: ajax]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
I feel less than fully dressed if I have less than $200 in my wallet on a normal day. When traveling it is not uncommon for me to have $500, and my wife a few $100 more.

There is usually $100 hidden in my car as well.

I have heard so many stories of a bit of cash saving the day that it seems like a logical practice. I have never lost any money.

The father of a friend of mine was a merchant marine, cook. Always wore a rather expensive gold ring. He said on several occasions in various ports around the world it came in very handy when he needed some money fast to get out of a difficult situation. (He never said what the difficult situations were...) He would pawn it for cash, take care of his situation, then buy it back when able.

For those living in an urban environment I can understand not carrying very much cash. I have been robbed at gun point once, lost $200 but would gladly have given him $200 more not to take my driver's license, pilot's license, credit cards, etc. Takes a lot of time and hassle to replace those items.

#269894 - 05/14/14 03:19 AM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: Craig_Thompson]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I know that I've posted this all before, but good advice bears repetition. In the words of Bob Dylan, "Money doesn't talk. It swears!" Cash saves your life ( and maybe your wallet too) in a mugging. Cash buys you a ride/ flight/ train ride / hitch out of town, when all seats are booked or otherwise unavailable. Cash buys supplies in a blackout when all credit cards are useless. Cash gets you the unavailable hotel room in the blizzard. Etc. etc. In an urban setting you can break it up: wallet, bag, sock, hat, car, whatever. Your target goal is $500, minimum: 4x$50; 10x$20; 9x$10; 10x$1.00. More is better.

P.S. Cash can often get you a discount on a larger purchase. Offer your credit card for payment. An Am Ex is best because it's fees are largest. Then say to the proprietor , " Do you discount for cash?" Do not be surprised to save yourself up to 10%.

P.P.S. Do you remember the Indo-China ( Vietnam) war? In the early days especially, many Special Forces soldiers, CIA agents and Air America pilots wore Rolex Submariners and ~10 thin gold bracelets, for trade / bribery in an E&E situation. In fact the Rolex became something of a joking way to ID the CIA types. That watch and the infamous "Get out of jail free" ID card.

Edited by acropolis5 (05/14/14 03:29 AM)

#269895 - 05/14/14 04:08 AM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: acropolis5]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Your survival gear should reflect the situations you will encounter. I would grant that cash works well in urban situations. In a wilderness setting, however, cash is just tinder (not legal tender)for starting a fire. Does anyone know which of the denominations burns best? Does a Franklin burn hotter than a Lincoln? I am not aware of any studies in this area....

Caution....Cash should not be used as a wound dressing. The bacteria count is way too high. If you have a silver dollar, it might be used as a signal mirror, but it won't be all that effective.

#269897 - 05/14/14 04:20 AM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: bws48]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
When I go to the ATM, I replenish to $500 or more. Right now, I have two $100 bills and the rest in $20 bills, and I try to keep $20 in smaller bills. I like to carry $100 bills because (1) they take up less space and (2) when I hand my wife a $100 bill, her reaction is like I'm handing her $1,000 (more bang for the buck).

Before I had my daughter, I used to carry about $40 in cash. Now, I'm more conscientious about emergency situations because of her. Also, I use credit card for practically everything. I would practically never use cash if it wasn't for my wife asking for cash every few days.

#269900 - 05/14/14 06:47 AM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: bws48]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

For 'just in case'. I have cash in a little key safe in the car and some money hidden in my (money)belt. I prefer to keep it a little hard to access, so it won't be stolen and I won't use it, when I don't really need to.

For 'normal' use, I prefer not to carry to much cash.

#269908 - 05/14/14 02:56 PM Re: EDC Preparedness: How much cash to carry? [Re: bws48]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Thanks, BWS, for posting that article. Cash is a vital prep. Important that the stash include a significant amount in small bills.

The only time I don't have cash is when I'm walking my dog around the block. Longer walks, even in DC, cash is a must - at least $40-50 for a cab to rush me and my dog to the veterinary hospital if necessary (had that situation once while walking several miles from home where my car was -- ran in front of a cab while carrying my dog so that I could rush her to a vet).

Car (and SUV) -- cash stashed in a couple places, including a thick wad of one-dollar bills.

Purses and wallet -- all have cash in them.

In the winter, nearly all my coats will have cash stashed.

If going out of town, I always have a substantial amount in cash (not inclined to get too specific but at least a few hundred dollars strikes me as wise for anyone, especially if you're going to be in a position that you could be stranded away from home, friends or family).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.