Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#269644 - 05/04/14 04:07 PM What to do with last year's potatoes?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
So, with this season's garden planting (finally) on the horizon, I'm wondering what to do with several bushels of raw potatoes stored in my cold room. They're still edible but not very nice, since our fall was very dry. Seems a shame to throw them onto the compost.

I could cook them and feed to my dogs, who love them (never feed raw, as a lethal wall of green fog will ensue).

Other options? Is it possible to mince and dehydrate them for non-refrigerated storage?

Any ideas?

- - - - -
Interesting factoid: raw potatoes have a high vitamin C content.

I came across this again in a book about the Klondike gold rush, where miners would live off bannock and beans through long months of winter, and seek out raw potatoes to ward off scurvy.

Apparently there's validity in this: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3127

#269645 - 05/04/14 06:01 PM Re: What to do with last year's potatoes? [Re: dougwalkabout]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I don't know what to do with them except use them to plant this year's crop. IIRC granddad cut left-over potatoes for seed. If they've started to sprout, cut them so there is at least one sprout in each piece. If they haven't sprouted, make sure there is at least one eye on each piece. Bury a piece wherever you want a plant this year.

#269646 - 05/04/14 07:04 PM Re: What to do with last year's potatoes? [Re: UTAlumnus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
^ That.

#269647 - 05/04/14 07:59 PM Re: What to do with last year's potatoes? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hill Billy Potato Vodka. If you have any Rhubarb then Hill Billy Rhubarb flavoured Potato Vodka!

#269659 - 05/05/14 05:08 AM Re: What to do with last year's potatoes? [Re: UTAlumnus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the ideas.

Reusing a portion for seed is a given. I have several heritage varieties and seed has never been commercially available (the skins are too delicate for commercial potato production ... or maybe they have something against flavour).

Don't need 500 plants though. (And somebody would have to hill them!)

The vodka idea is interesting. I thought of that before and talked to a skilled winemaker. There would still be a lot of waste, since yeast doesn't eat complex carbohydrates. (It's also a lot more fuss than juicing my surplus apples and raspberries for wine.) Unlicensed distilling is illegal here, although they won't go looking for you unless you start selling it.

#269765 - 05/09/14 03:03 AM Re: What to do with last year's potatoes? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
You can get enzymes to assist with fermenting the carbohydrates.

Also is is usual to allow potatoes to start to sprout before fermenting them (for wine). When they sprout, the natural enzymes have already started to convert the stored carbohydrates to sugars which the plant needs to grow.

I'd do a bit more research on potato wine and consider making up a batch - it is an interesting drink to say the least ! Aim for a semi-sweet style IMO.

#269767 - 05/09/14 10:29 AM Re: What to do with last year's potatoes? [Re: dougwalkabout]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
If you have more potatoes than you can eat or need for seed, then I would use them for dog food.

If you have large qaunities, would a local pig farmer want them ? or it might even be worth buying a couple of pigs to fatten and re sell or eat.

It is a shame to waste them, and producing wine though possible is a lot of trouble compared to fermenting fruit juice.

#269780 - 05/09/14 09:10 PM Re: What to do with last year's potatoes? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I appreciate the replies.

The enzyme angle is interesting. I had heard of such a thing but didn't know how it would apply.

As noted, though, it's pretty easy to make your own hootch if you have a productive yard and are so inclined.

In the big picture, the "waste" is not waste at all (except for my own labour I guess); it only feeds the coming generations of garden plants. If the soil is a little deeper and richer for my efforts, well, that's as fine a legacy as any.

Feeding a pig is a good idea. However, the feeding of large hounds is money out of pocket already. Surprise, surprise, dogs are more omnivorous than people recognize, and it's good for them.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 602 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.