Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#236531 - 11/30/11 12:36 AM E-mail -- Is this even possible???
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
When I first moved to WA, the telephone service was US West, which became Qwest, which recently became CenturyLink. IOW, from bad to worse to truly awful.

For the first several years, I used MS Outlook Express for e-mail, via separately purchased internet service from AT&T. I loved Outlook Express -- it's one of the few things Microsoft got right.

Then AT&T apparently went to wireless service and I had to add my web service to my phone service with Qwest. And it wouldn't support Outlook Express, they said.

Last week, CenturyLink cut off my web service because they said that I hadn't paid my bill. I had paid the bill (paper check), but they apparently 'mislaid' it, and the 'support' person said if I paid by cc, the updating would be faster.

So, when they finally got my web service going again, I couldn't access my e-mail. They had my e-mail address and password right there, but it wouldn't open. With Tech Support's help, I got my email through the old MS IE browser (very unstable), which I never use.

I am technologically backwards, and was dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming that I wanted my carbon paper back.

So, here's the question: My e-mail comes in through CenturyLink, my browser is Firefox, and I want to use Outlook Express, and my operating system is MS 2000 on an old computer. Is this possible, or is it something that even Rube Goldberg wouldn't attempt?

Okay, stop laughing, wipe your eyes, blow your nose, wipe the coffee off the monitor and just give me a simple answer.

Sue

Edited by Susan (11/30/11 12:37 AM)
Edit Reason: added 'unstable'

#236536 - 11/30/11 01:06 AM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

as long is its standard pop and smtp then OE should still work. However, I will not disagree with the statement that its one of the things Microsoft got right, its one of the most insecure and most exploited e-mail clients there is. I would recommend Thunderbird over it, it has all the features without being a security hole.

#236561 - 11/30/11 04:28 AM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Thunderbird, eh? I've run across the name, but no one has ever mentioned using it.

Sue

#236562 - 11/30/11 04:32 AM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Hi Sue,

Nothing wrong with a mature computer !

I just googled "centurylink pop express" and it looks like they have lots of information

At the top of the list was:
http://embarq.centurylink.com/embarq/refDocs/user_guides/internet/HSI_outlookexpress_Guide.pdf

Looks like a step by step guide to set it up.

#236570 - 11/30/11 05:23 AM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Thank you, Aussie! That's what I need, step by step!

Sue

#236584 - 11/30/11 11:07 AM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
Thunderbird, eh? I've run across the name, but no one has ever mentioned using it.

Sue

Its the e-mail equivalent of Firefox,made by the same people (Mozilla).

Then if you want thunderbird to have a calendar like Outlook (not express, the Outlook that comes with MS Office) you can use the lightning plugin. I have my kids school calendars setup so I can remember when they need have certain events.

#236650 - 12/01/11 04:56 AM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
ajax Offline

I might also recommend moving away from ISP provided email accounts. Usually when you change providers or move you lose the old ISPs account. Free webmail services like Gmail, Yahoo or *gag* Hotmail all work with POP3 email clients like Outlook Express. I also agree with the above poster to recommended you try out Thunderbird. Eudora is another free one (basically built on Thunderbird) and there's always regular Outlook.

Edited by ajax (12/01/11 04:57 AM)

#236705 - 12/02/11 04:51 AM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Okay, I spent a couple of hours trying to get Thunderbird. I downloaded it and got the set-up started. But somehow, it got hold of the info for the very old AT&T account. I've been going through, trying to delete all references to prior accounts, but it hasn't worked, so far.

It would be easier if I knew how computers 'think', but for me, it's on the same level as flying by flapping my arms.

Sue

#236714 - 12/02/11 12:00 PM Re: E-mail -- Is this even possible??? [Re: Susan]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
According to their support page you start with the menu at the top of the page.

Delete an email account

Menu location: Tools | Account Settings | Account Actions

From there you should be presented with options including removing or deleting the account.

Those instructions are from about 2/3 the way down this page:

http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/configuration-options-accounts

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 322 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
Yesterday at 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.