The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206225 - 08/16/10 12:17 AM Options for an 11 YO to earn $
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My son, 11, asked me how he could earn $900 to buy new drums (he's a good drummer) - I've offered the usual - yard work, he can sell some of my old electronics on my eBay account, but there's not a lot of opportunity for a young kid to earn $ around here - everyone does their own yard work, we don't have a lot of neighbors anyway. Suggestions?

#206228 - 08/16/10 12:39 AM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
As fall approaches a lot of wild edibles will be going to seed. People are willing to buy these seeds on ebay.

Another possibility would be flint/steel fire starter kits with the steel cut from an old, high quality file. These files are easy to find at flea markets. You don't need to do any forging, just carefully cut them into 2"-3" pieces and round off the edges. A Dremel tool works well.

Pet sitter.

Dog-poop yard cleaner.

Flower bed weeder and mulch layer-downer.

In general, find a dirty, yucky chore that people don't like doing and do it for a price they are willing to pay.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#206239 - 08/16/10 02:25 AM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: ]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
years ago I had a freshman student that set out 1000 orange seeds in a seed bed (I don't remember if they were sour orange or grapefruit), transplanted to oil cans (told you it was years ago) after they sprouted, year 2 budded them to several different varieties, year 3 transplanted them to "egg cans" slightly smaller than a 5 gal bucket...fertilized/oil spray, set up sprinkler system, repeated new batch each year...sold them at 4 years at $6 - $8 each... paid for his 4 year education at the Univ of Fla...

I had class that painted street addresses on curbside for prom money..

aluminum can recycling

regards Les

#206240 - 08/16/10 02:26 AM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: MartinFocazio]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
+1 for Blast's pet sitter recommendation.

Last two years, for our twice-annual week-long trips, we've paid our 11-year-old neigbor to dog-sit our shihtzu. Not a lot to do but feed him once in afternoon, once in morning, and she spends half-hour "playtime" with him each visit.

Money-saver for us compared to boarding, he's much happier in familiar surroundings and she's delighted to earn $100 for roughly seven hours work.

After that first year, our budding entrepreneur added two other neighbors as "clients" just through word-of-mouth.

#206259 - 08/16/10 01:20 PM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: xbanker]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: xbanker
+1 for Blast's pet sitter recommendation.

Wish that was an option. We're in a spread out and rural area, and I don't want to be in a situation where we have to drive him all over the place. Keep the ideas coming, though.

There's also, as was pointed out to me, no possibility of him actually getting a JOB in a store, even though he'd be willing to do that - you can't hire 11 year olds for real jobs. This is incredible to me, as I (legally) worked in my grandfather's butcher shop gutting chickens, making chop meat and cleaning out horrid drain things when I was 11 - that's just not an option anymore.

Keep the ideas coming, I like the "sell your old stuff" - he's also able to fix LCD monitors, maybe I can get some from work and he can fix and sell them.

#206275 - 08/16/10 05:21 PM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
My son, 11, asked me how he could earn $900 to buy new drums (he's a good drummer) - I've offered the usual - yard work, he can sell some of my old electronics on my eBay account, but there's not a lot of opportunity for a young kid to earn $ around here - everyone does their own yard work, we don't have a lot of neighbors anyway. Suggestions?

Ship him out here, lots of yard work grin

That's one negative of living out in the woods, where mostly retired folk live... not many young ones to do yard work!

#206302 - 08/17/10 02:49 AM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: Todd W]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
at that age I:
Pet Sit
Shoveled snow - used to pray for snow - not for the day off, for the $$ opportunities
Made "stuff" (little bird marionettes) to sell at a local crafts faire
Was good enough (well, by age 15 or so) to build plastic models for pay (the photos on my web site are of my 'junky' stuff that was not good enough to sell - I never took photos at that time, and wish I did

If I helped out particularly well around the house, I'd occasionalyy get slipped some extra $$ - like the time Mom and Dad decided to rebuilt the entire house - gut the 1st floor to the walls, and redo - Up at 6:00am, working by 6:30, don't stop for 12-14 hours - I'm taliking ripping put plastr/lathing, bagging/boxing, running it out to the garbage, hauling lumber, playing "fetch", helping drag BX cable, etc - That got me a nice donation to my "hobby" fund
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#206307 - 08/17/10 05:32 AM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: KG2V]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Some may say that gambling is not a very good idea especially for an 11 y/o, but the son of a friend of mine has started playing poker online once. He's moved from the simplistic "video" poker, to the somewhat real one with real players (everything over internet, online). With $100 from his piggy bank at the beginning he's made around $16K in about 5 months. I don't know about the particular web site or any other specifics though. And it seems to me he was 15 at that time. He used the money to pay (partially) for the college (where he is now).

#206320 - 08/17/10 01:21 PM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: Alex]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
If he's a good drummer. . . How about starting a band to play at local events and parties?

#206622 - 08/23/10 01:38 AM Re: Options for an 11 YO to earn $ [Re: Jesselp]
sotto Offline
Addict

When I was 9 or 10 years old, here's how I made money:

lawn mowing
leaf raking
chicken house cleaning
greeting card selling
garden seed selling
snow shoveling
service station lot sweeping
car washing
pop-bottle returning (this was before the days of recycling)
pitching and catching and general tot corraling for the phys ed
teacher who ran the town's little league

And, last but not least, buying cigarettes from Jerry's By-Lo
grocery and delivering them to the guys in town who were too
lazy to go after their own. Yes, I did this and they sold them
to me without a hassle in those days. Everybody knew I did
this, I needed the money, and there were no questions asked.

Edited by sotto (08/23/10 01:38 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.