Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#198186 - 03/17/10 01:12 AM Requiem for Detroit.
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I watched this on BBC a few days ago. The Story and history of Detroit in a full 1hr and 15 min documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIgC5whSP8E

Just an intro I'm afraid. The full documentary is available here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rkm3y/Requiem_for_Detroit/
or
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rkm3y

http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews.asp?id=102970

Quote:
For BBC Two, Cassian Harrison, Commissioning Executive for the BBC, said: "The story of Detroit is an extraordinary tale of boom and bust at the heart of the American Dream, stretching over an entire century."

Well worth a watch and the documentary does actually have an optimistic ending, depending on your point of view of course.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/17/10 01:23 AM)

#198204 - 03/17/10 04:45 AM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
I spent most of 2009 in Detroit (suburb) on a project. Great people. It was sad to listen to the local news though. Also, I never had to wait to get a table at a restaurant and traffic was not bad at all.

Hopefully they can diversify and rejuvenate the economy.

Buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#198233 - 03/17/10 02:02 PM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Sounds interesting. Does the documentary talk about Mayor Bing's plan to actually downsize and transform large swathes of the city into farmland? It seems almost unthinkable to actually shrink a major American city, but it's going to be necessary unless these Rust Belt cities can actually find a totally new niche to draw people back to the city.

#198311 - 03/18/10 01:29 PM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: Arney]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
The bottom line is that the city needs to contract to the size it really is, and that means a lot of vacant properties need to be razed and planted with grass and made into parks or something more useful (maybe farmland) than empty rotting buildings.

I read a story about the farmland side of this that explored the money trail. It explains a lot about why such an uneconomical plan is even being considered.

Bob

#198326 - 03/18/10 04:03 PM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: ILBob]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Back in the 1970s, when the Bronx was really bad, I always said "If I was an adult (I was in my late teens then), I'd BUY some of the totally abandoned blocks" - the buildings were already down - they were empty lots. Plant trees and wait - now some of the neighborhoods aren't so bad - can you imagine having a house on 2-3 acres in NYC?
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#198345 - 03/18/10 08:33 PM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: KG2V]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Just to clarify ... we're not talking about suburban Detroit here ... we're talking about the city of Detroit here.

I lived in the suburbs for a while and liked them very much. They are currently hit by the same unemployment that so many other areas are hit by, but that much worse because of the prevalence of the automotive industry there - or what is left of it.

I can't look at the links in the first post because my business filters them out, but from what I understand, the short story of Detroit is:

1. 1967 riot in Detroit. 43 dead, 467 injured, 7200 arrests, 2000 buildings burned down
2. Companies moved out.
3. Many folks of European heritage moved out.
4. Some folks of African heritage who had enough money moved out too.
5. Along with 2, 3, & 4 went most of the jobs and tax money.

End of story

BTW, there is NO intent to slander or belittle any race or heritage here. AT ALL!

#198392 - 03/19/10 02:54 AM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
. 1967 riot in Detroit. 43 dead, 467 injured, 7200 arrests, 2000 buildings burned down
2. Companies moved out.
3. Many folks of European heritage moved out.
4. Some folks of African heritage who had enough money moved out too.
5. Along with 2, 3, & 4 went most of the jobs and tax money.

That process, the hollowing out of the cities as those who could move to the suburbs, had started a decade earlier. Highways, cars, and cheap gasoline, along with the single family home on an acre of land as an ideal, made the suburbs possible. The state made home loans cheap, built highways, promoted development and paid for infrastructure like roads, sewers, power lines that supported the vast tracts of single-family homes.

The cities were starved for resources and physically, economically and socially deteriorated. Unemployment, crime, hopelessness and despair were the inevitable outcome. Inner city landlords were burning their properties for the insurance money and to avoid the cost of upkeep.

The riots didn't cause the flight from the city. They may have accelerated the process but the riots themselves were largely a result of unemployment and poor living conditions caused by the hollowing out of the city.

Detroit was one of the first cities to see this trend. It was highly dependent on a few large industries. Was historically a place for poor people from the south to move to. Consolidation of the auto industry and a high proportion of people directly or indirectly dependent on a few large industries made the city more vulnerable to the failure of the tax base.

#198406 - 03/19/10 04:12 AM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: Art_in_FL]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAjLIVISqRw
Gordon Lightfoot, Black Day in July.

The downsizing of the auto industry was a big thing but I don't think it was the main problem. I don't think it was about race either.
I saw a lot of cities lose their core. It has got to where I always expect to see slums in the shadows of the office towers.

To put a survival slant on it I will say that living in a good community gives you a better chance, that is if you must live in a city.
Jane Jacob's "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" (1961) explores what makes for good safe communities inside cities.

#198425 - 03/19/10 10:40 AM Re: Requiem for Detroit. [Re: scafool]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I see the same happening in my city now. You have the overcrowded, many year waitlist for parking downtown so the companies are finding it cheaper to build outside the city outerbelt. So I now live in a suburb home close enough to walk to work. The city staryed denying low income housing permit renewals in the areas right around downtown so those buildings would go vacent and get sold and be redeveloped but then all the lower income housing moved furthur out and forced people like me to leave. Nothing directly against low income, but it seem the majority of poeple in those housing are there because they don't want to work rather than those that really can't and need the program. So we got all the drug users/dealers living within our neighborhood living off our tax dollars and 'supplementing' their income in various illegal ways. It took us a few years to get debt paid down and get our house sold so in that time everything I owned got its own bob, everything was packed into something making it easy to move preparng to bug out to the suburbs.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.