Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#174525 - 06/08/09 02:25 AM Contacting Congress on the knife issue
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Was not able to reply to Doug's message on writing members of congress, etc, in regard to the U.S. Customs proposed rule on assisted-opening knives, so am replying here. I looked at the knife organization's instructions and the addressing could be simpler.

First of all, you can locate the names, specific office address and telephone numbers of your Senators at: www.senate.gov

House members at: www.house.gov

Both Senators and arguably all House members in your state are worth contacting by snail-mail, e-mail and telephone. Most House members have aspirations to win statewide office someday so they listen to voters outside their congressional district. And redistricting is coming up after the 2010 census so they have extra need to be attentive now.

You don't need the specific office number but it's helpful.

Your letters will get to them if you simply address them in the following manner:

The Honorable ______________________
United State Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510

The Honorable ______________________
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515

It's also worth calling them. If Rush Limbaugh mentioned this on his show, their phones would lock up.

The U.S. Capitol Switchboard telephone number is: 202.224.3121

The operator will put you through to the office of any member you ask them to.

Some key folks in the Senate have already been made aware of this emerging issue....

Edited by Dagny (06/08/09 02:35 AM)

#174532 - 06/08/09 06:03 AM Re: Contacting Congress on the knife issue [Re: Dagny]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
I have joined Doug Ritter on this and my letter will go into today's mail and I have emailed my Congress critters smile

Stargazer

#174534 - 06/08/09 10:22 AM Re: Contacting Congress on the knife issue [Re: stargazer]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Anyone want to make a nice template that we can copy/paste with minor edits.

#174543 - 06/08/09 02:41 PM Re: Contacting Congress on the knife issue [Re: Eugene]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here's a draft. It could be personalized with mention of a single pocketknife, or two, that you carry that could be impacted. The most persuasive argument is that average Americans are affected, 99% of them unknowingly -- not knife enthusiasts.

The most effective letters are one page or less and clearly state the situation and desired action. And are polite. I underline the most salient portions to catch the eye of the staffer buried under a mountain of mail.

REI is mentioned because every young congressional staffer who will read these letters knows REI -- a politically-correct, non-controversial retailer.

It is essential that your name and return address be readable. The offices will want to write you back, if only to be polite and build their mailing list.

A few letters on an issue this obscure will get the attention of the staffer who covers this issue area (typically the Legislative Assistant or correspondent responsible for Judiciary issues). This will be an interesting new issue to a lot of staff, and their bosses. And it lends itself to swift action. The CBP action could be permanently blocked by simple language in the forthcoming Commerce-Justice-State FY2010 appropriations bill. If I were working for the knife industry that would be my ultimate goal so that regulators in the future would have a statutory hurdle to overcome.

Mr/Ms. _______________
address
city/state/zip

June __, 2009

Dear Senator ___________ (or Representative _________):

I am writing to urge that you take action to delay, or block, the U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) agency's proposal relating to knives with spring-assisted opening mechanisms. The agency's hasty action (encompassing 63 pages of highly technical explanations and exhibits) could make criminals of a significant portion of your otherwise law-abiding constituents who carry pocket knives. The public is being allowed only the minimum 30-day comment period (expires on June 21), the first 11 days of which occurred while Congress was in recess and millions of knife-owning Americans were on vacation! At the least, the public should have a few more months to comment.

On the eve of the Congressional Memorial Day recess (May 21), U.S. Customs & Border Protection proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades, thus greatly expanding the scope of federal switchblade law that dates back to 1958. These actions would not only outlaw assisted-opening knives but could outlaw most other pocket knives. At this point, one-hand opening and assisted-opening knives are 80% of U.S. knife sales. An estimated 40 million law-abiding Americans own and carry pocket knives.

These are knives that you can buy at REI, among many other mainstream American retailers.

The impact of this CBP action revoking longstanding ruling letters and treatment of assisted opening mechanisms would go far beyond just imported knives because this "agency determination" will be used by domestic courts and law enforcement to determine what is a "switchblade" under federal and state laws. Many states do not define switchblades and rely on the federal definition and interpretation, which is only found in rulings by CBP. Since interstate commerce in switchblades is prohibited, except under very limited conditions, simply driving across a state line with a pocket knife in their possession could make one of your law-abiding constituents a federal felon.

This CBP action imperils the right of tens of millions of law-abiding Americans to carry their pocketknives and affects a knife industry that employs 24,000 Americans.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope that you will look into this and take the appropriate steps to protect your constituents from this gross overreaching that could make them criminals for carrying your average pocketknife.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Edited by Dagny (06/08/09 02:45 PM)

#174544 - 06/08/09 02:47 PM Re: Contacting Congress on the knife issue [Re: Dagny]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Letters have been sent to my represenative and my only "recognized" senator (I live in Illinois ... sigh).

In addition, I became a Knife Rights member. Yeah!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Doug. I'm horrified that the knives I gave my children for Scouts (Boy & Girl) may become illegal - including the Leatherman Wave I gave my son as a gift when he earned his First Class Scout rank.

That is just nuts!

#174545 - 06/08/09 03:09 PM Re: Contacting Congress on the knife issue [Re: KenK]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Because the end of the public comment period is fast-approaching (June 21), [b]letters should also be faxed. [/b]

These will get more attention than e-mails.

You'll find most offices have a fax number listed in the "Contact Us" portion of their websites.

www.senate.gov

www.house.gov

People should also call. Pick out a few sentences from the letter and recite them over the phone. The receptionist will need to know that this is a "U.S. Customs agency regulatory action impacting pocket knives." They will then give your name and phone number to the appropriate staffer who should call you back.

U.S. Capitol Switchboard: 202.224.3121

Some offices are more responsive than others. At the least, a dozen or more phone calls on this obscure issue would put it on the radar screen in a congressional office. The more the better.

Edited by Dagny (06/08/09 03:14 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.