Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161165 - 01/03/09 10:44 PM Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It seems I picked a good time to wander off into the woods. Too bad someone warned all the deer I was coming (looking at you, SBRaider!)

However for those of you that have been wondering, crow's breast roasted over a campfire of sweetgum is suprisingly tasty.

-Blast, reminding you to feed your mind, not the trolls

Edited by Blast (01/04/09 12:57 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#161167 - 01/03/09 11:00 PM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It must be the moon going into the new moon phase.

signed: P.P.o.W. as certified by someone nameless!!!!

#161168 - 01/03/09 11:13 PM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose [Re: Blast]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Yeah, an interesting morning to say the least. It seems there was some mention of hunting crow too.

So now you know what they mean when they say "eating crow".

My three week early retirement rehearsal ends on Monday. Sigh.

Ken

#161171 - 01/03/09 11:42 PM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
BLAST!!!!!

How could you.... Eating crow...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#161174 - 01/03/09 11:51 PM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Gee it's nice to be back to some sense of masculinity around here. I have been subjected to Victoria's Secret with my daughter again. Discussing bears and FAK et. al. is truly helping. I swear my DW and DD have a deal going. Mom goes to help relative in hospital, dad gets roped into VS.

Having heard the above, that deer hunt wasn't so bad after all now was it???

I may need a bigger gun soon!

RIP OBG

#161186 - 01/04/09 12:56 AM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
How could you.... Eating crow...

My hunting buddy got bored and shot it. My rule is if you shoot it you eat it. Being a nice guy, I helped. It was suprisingly good. Not as good as the dog I ate in China, but I'd put it above duck and goose.

Somewhat related, a 7.62x54R Mosin-Nagant makes a good, cheap deer rifle, but be warned they don't have a safety. First-timers might be better served by an old Mauser.

Overall it was a great time. Beans and rice and stick bread cooked over a campfire. A pack of coyotes howling every time the moon popped out of the clouds, tempertures in the 60's, and for once I didn't end up with some sort of massive injury...can't say the same about my buddy though. frown

Apparently his axe didn't have a safety either.

-Blast

*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#161188 - 01/04/09 12:59 AM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks l [Re: Desperado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Desperado
I have been subjected to Victoria's Secret with my daughter again.

Too late to send her to live with the nuns?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#161201 - 01/04/09 01:50 AM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks l [Re: ironraven]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Originally Posted By: Desperado
I have been subjected to Victoria's Secret with my daughter again.

Too late to send her to live with the nuns?

I'm so thankful i'm having boys!!!! ;-)

#161202 - 01/04/09 01:59 AM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose [Re: Desperado]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I swear my DW and DD have a deal going. Mom goes to help relative in hospital, dad gets roped into VS.

Simple solution: toss out all your wife's unmentionables and replace them with copies of whatever your daughter is buying.

I guarentee if you do that you'll end up with all sorts of Man-Time on your hands. grin

-Blast

#161208 - 01/04/09 02:50 AM Re: Wow, I leave for a while and all heck breaks loose [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear about your luck deer hunting Blast, but anytime in the bush if a good time.

I cooked deer today in the slow-cooker, kind of a stew with lots of veggies. I have eaten venison all my life and always enjoyed it (secret is you have to take good care of the meat from killsite right through to the plate), but this current deer has a strong liver/pasty taste. It is strange because it was an average size 2 1/2 year old doe, they are usually delicious? I will finish it all, but I do not think I can serve it to friends when I have company over for dinner.

I do like caribou and moose better than deer, but deer is much more available.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, Herman30), 355 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.