Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#120447 - 01/16/08 11:06 PM Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife
GrilledBison Offline
Stranger

Loc: PA
Count me among the several forum members who have recently become proud owners of the Doug Ritter RSK Mk1. This is a step up for me from a small collection of very useful SAKs. Judging from the comments on other threads, several of you have the RSK Mk1 as your EDC or at least have it close at hand. I think I'll end up using a sheath for mine (because my pockets are already full).

If you use a sheath for your RSK Mk1, what brand/style would you folks recommend? What issues should I consider with a sheath? Or doesn't it matter, as long as the knife fits?

#120450 - 01/16/08 11:59 PM Re: Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife [Re: GrilledBison]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
When Doug first came out with the Mk1 he offered it along with the Bianchi Accumold 7303 Single Mag/Knife Pouch w/ snap closure, size #2, (or sized for Browning Hi-Power magazine clip).

Some folks complained that it had a loose fit, but I myself thought it fit well. I like the sheath.

Hint: Don't get the version with the velcro closure. I did - for my M2 Mk1 - and wished I hadn't.

#120455 - 01/17/08 12:14 AM Re: Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife [Re: GrilledBison]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I have two of these:

http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=15

Its a little on the bulky side for belt wear (sticks out a little) but still pretty cool. It can mount vertically or horizontally and is molle compatible. The MK1 fits perfectly in it though.

Blitz

#120456 - 01/17/08 12:19 AM Re: Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife [Re: GrilledBison]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't have a RSK, but I have become a big fan of kydex for all kinds of things. If you do some googling for something like "kydex sheath" you will find lots of makers. Many come at a very reasonable price...

#120689 - 01/18/08 05:31 PM Re: Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GrilledBison Offline
Stranger

KenK, Blitz & OBG,

Thanks for the information and your suggestions.

#120730 - 01/18/08 10:59 PM Re: Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife [Re: GrilledBison]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Let us know what you go with...

#120876 - 01/20/08 04:11 PM Re: Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GrilledBison Offline
Stranger

At the outset, I'm using a sheath that was holding a SAK and the RSK Mk1 fits perfectly:
http://www.swissknivesexpress.com/loccorbelpou.html#
It's black, vertical-only, velcro, lightweight, and not at all stiff. It's only $5, and may not withstand heavy use & abuse, though I don't have the experience to imagine what may cause it to fail, or what creek I might be up if it does.

Blitz' suggested SPEC-OPS Super Sheath ($20) seems to be of substantially heavier construction, bulkier, but since it is nylon, I don't think its weight would be noticeable.

And I gather that kydex is moldable plastic that would offer stiff protection but which would be almost double the width of the knife once the grommets or screws are in place to hold the two layers together. I could see where kydex would be very useful, however once molded, a kydex sheath couldn't be used for other equipment, whereas my el-cheapo sheath is flexible enough to fit other knifes or my backup headlight.

I took a look at the Bianchi Accumold 7303 Single Mag/Knife Pouch w/ snap closure, but I think I'll end up poking around the next few months until I find one that I'll ultimately dedicate to the RSK Mk1. I'll post an update if anything changes.

#120905 - 01/20/08 11:17 PM Re: Favorite sheath for your RSK Mk1 knife [Re: GrilledBison]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: GrilledBison
At the outset, I'm using a sheath that was holding a SAK and the RSK Mk1 fits perfectly:
http://www.swissknivesexpress.com/loccorbelpou.html#
It's black, vertical-only, velcro, lightweight, and not at all stiff. It's only $5, and may not withstand heavy use & abuse, though I don't have the experience to imagine what may cause it to fail, or what creek I might be up if it does.

Blitz' suggested SPEC-OPS Super Sheath ($20) seems to be of substantially heavier construction, bulkier, but since it is nylon, I don't think its weight would be noticeable.

And I gather that kydex is moldable plastic that would offer stiff protection but which would be almost double the width of the knife once the grommets or screws are in place to hold the two layers together. I could see where kydex would be very useful, however once molded, a kydex sheath couldn't be used for other equipment, whereas my el-cheapo sheath is flexible enough to fit other knifes or my backup headlight.

I took a look at the Bianchi Accumold 7303 Single Mag/Knife Pouch w/ snap closure, but I think I'll end up poking around the next few months until I find one that I'll ultimately dedicate to the RSK Mk1. I'll post an update if anything changes.

This is the same style of sheath that's been holding my SAK for about 8 years (I have the shorter version for my Cybertool). I can vouch for it's durability as aside from a few weathered spots where it rubs the knife, it looks new.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.