Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#100382 - 07/21/07 01:47 PM best eye glasses lens?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

What are the best eye glasses lens in the market?

what is your personal experience with eye glasses lens? I have to replace my lens since my prescription got worse. I am looking for high quality, high index lens that is water resistant, scratch resistant.

#100384 - 07/21/07 02:04 PM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
They tell me that polycarbonate is the best, haven't had a pair of those yet, maybe next pair. My current glasses, with plastic lenses, anti-scratch coating, are scratched all to hell. So much for that high dollar coating, I should have gone back to safety glass...

#100389 - 07/21/07 05:18 PM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Try some Crizal. They are optically very good and tough to scratch, anti-glare etc. etc. I have dropped my glasses lots of times and the Ti frames get beat up but the lenses still look new. Don't know if it's the best lens, but by far the best I've ever had. Not particularly cheap though...

#100405 - 07/22/07 12:37 AM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: cfraser]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I wear glasses and I have gone totaly to polycarbonate lenses. Working construction they are the only ones that I can get in safety glasses that are OSHA approved. They are good at resisting scratches and are shatter proof, mine last for two+ years on construction sites. If these are going into your BOB you might want to get a pair in safety frames, when TSHTF you may be doing things that are dangerous and shatter proof lenses might save the day and an eye.

#100408 - 07/22/07 01:43 AM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I've got polycarbonate lenses with the built-in non-glare crap on them, and they're absolute and total trash. They were covered with tiny scratches in less than a year.

AND the coating can't be polished off polycarbonate. It can be removed from glass and plastic.

Sue

#100410 - 07/22/07 02:10 AM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: Susan]
sodak Offline
Addict

I only wear polycarbonate based on advice from my sister and her husband, both opthamologists. They like the protection that it affords. No matter what coating I use, it scratches very easily, but for the protection, I'll take that as an acceptable trade off.

#100413 - 07/22/07 02:44 AM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

polycarbonate lens scratch too easily. I am currently wearing sony lens. It has high index and scratch resistant. My prescription has changed thus I need to get new lens.

Sony lens is hard to find in Toronto. All the optical shops seem to be pitching Nikon lens. I dislike any shop that only sell one type of lens.

#100433 - 07/22/07 01:47 PM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: picard120]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
For protecting your eyes polycarb is the way to go. Yes it does scratch easier than a harder lens. I usually get 2 to 3 years out of a pair of lenses, and i work as a welder and machinist. Taking care of the lenses correctly helps to make them last longer between changes. With polycarb never ever wipe the lenses when dry, using a shirt tail to clean off that smudge is a sure way to scratch a lense. Flood the lenses with water or lense cleaner and then wipe dry with a clean soft cloth. Yes I know that it is something else to add to your edc.

If you know that you are going to scratch up the lenses buy the warranty, polycarb comes with uv coating and usually scratch coating from the lenses manufacturer so when you pay “extra” for the coatings what you are buying is the warranty to replace the lenses. Before the end of the warranty period have the lenses replaced.

The last time I purchased lenses the shop I went to did not recommend antireflective coatings on lenses for anyone with a dirty job. They said that the coating would be trashed inside of a year. And they went on to add that dirt and smudges show up easier on antireflective coatings so people clean the lenses more often but often don’t take the time to clean the lenses correctly and it will scratch easier because the AR coating is applied on top of the scratch coating.

#100454 - 07/22/07 03:12 PM Re: best eye glasses lens? [Re: RayW]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My eyewear for Skeet & Trap is a set of Wiley X PT-1's with replaceable polycarbonate inserts in lots of different shades (gray, rust, rose, amber et al). I found a second pair on ebay clear, gray & rust inserts and bought them for my truck. I haven't had a problem with scratches, but mine go into a case when not being used.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 327 Guests and 85 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.