I went in for a brain MRI. I do have claustrophobia, but no big deal. I took 1 MG of Lorazepam an hour before the procedure, and I've had an MRI done before with minimum issue.

With my mask on, I'm on the MRI table feeling fine though a little warm because of the mask. The technician puts a device over my head that I can best describe as the interior of a football helmet. This is not good. He then inserts wedges into the device to prevent me from moving my head. I go from uneasy to panic mode.

I take another MG of Lorazepam, and we wait ten minutes for the second pill to kick in. We try again. Still no go. We wait an additional five minutes, the give the second pill more time to kick in. We try again. The state of panic is only getting worse. There is no way for me to hold still in my condition. The technician tries something different. Though, against protocol, the technician tells to remove my mask. We try it without the mask. By this time, I'm in such a state of panic that my stomach is bothering me. Afraid that I would vomit, the technician cancels the test.

That was an hour and a half ago. After 2 MG of Lorazepam, time, and listening to "Canon in D" on an infinite loop, I'm starting to feel normal.

If my primary care physician believes a brain MRI is imperative, I'll have to do it in a hospital where I will be sedated.

Jeanette Isabelle