Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215948 - 01/30/11 04:10 AM Stoves question
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I know it is not easy to ask ( what is the best ... ) however I am looking for the most effiecient stove (ounce for ounce, or pound for pound) among stationary stioves and portable ones.

In stationary stoves ( to be used at home when stay-in-place scenario) what is the stove that gives most calories ( or BTU's) per ounce of fuel ??? In portable stoves ( which can be used in bug out scenarios) what is the stove that will give maximum heat BTU's per ounce of fuel AND stove ?

Edited by Chisel (01/30/11 04:10 AM)

#215949 - 01/30/11 04:54 AM Re: Stoves question [Re: Chisel]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
for the best no frills info try Zen Stoves
http://zenstoves.net/
for knock down-drag out go arounds by my stove buddys try.
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php?
just on my own from trying out a heap of stoves and fuel i would go for a Coleman Two burner "suitcase stove for home use,white gas/Coleman fuel seems to give good bang for the buck and is easy to get and use.the newer camping stoves with the pump in the fuel bottle and a small burner work very well,whisperlite type stoves,MSR makes some fine stoves.Jetboil is another.i would stay away from stoves that use a Gaz cart,no cart-no stove.there are stoves that will burn just about anything but need jets changed.some guys would direct you to the old Army stoves but parts become a problem..i know what you are driving at in your question but there are so many in's and out's on stoves and fuel that to say "this is the one" is just about impossible.

#215957 - 01/30/11 10:00 AM Re: Stoves question [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Backpackers have similar concerns about lightweight, portable stoves. You have three basic options - gas cartridge stoves (Pocket Rocket or similar), alcohol stoves, or solid fuel stoves (Esbit). What works best (is the most efficient for the weight carried) depends upon the length of trip.

Alcohol is the lightest for trips of less than four days, more or less. Stoves are very light, as little as an ounce or less, and are frequently made from soda popcans. There are also many commercial stoves available - the classic alcohol stove is the Trangia, weighing all of three ounces! These stoves will take any of the various varieties of alcohol, so it is not difficult to find something that will boil your water. Alcohol is not as energy dense as isobutane, one of the more popular of the gas cartridge varieties.

Gas cartridges have a threaded valve onto which is screwed a burner head. Operation is simple - screw on the stove, open the valve, light, and start cooking. You do have the dead weight of the cartridge to drag around, so this rig becomes lightest only on longer trips, more than four days or so. The cartridges can be hard to find in small towns. Operation is almost as simple as using your kitchen stove.

Solid fuel "stoves" can be the very lightest - something like the Titanium Tri Wing stove features by Hikin' Jim as stove of the week holds the Esbit brick which is lit and you get to cooking, although realistically you are pretty much limited to boiling water. You can improvise a stove from tinfoil if necessary. Esbit is not necessarily found in small towns.

With all of these, efficiency is increased by proper use of a windscreen and suitable cooking pots. You want a lid on whatever pot is boiling water to avoid squandering fuel. Carry a few sheets of aluminum foil for making a windscreen.

The short answer to your question is a Trangia Mini 28 cookset, a quart of alcohol from the hardware store, and a pop bottle used as a fuel container (suitably marked), plus windscreen. If you wish, you can augment this with a Pocket Rocket from MSR and a few isobutane cartridges. It works well with the Trangia cookset, which is adequate for one or two people.

These systems work well, down to about freezing, more or less. In colder conditions, you want to go to any of several liquid gas stoves, which are heavier but put out the necessary heat that allows you to melt snow.

Don't forget the campfire, for which you only need carry a match. It is the lightest of all, but is not suitable for all conditions. It will warm you as well as your food, and it serves as an admirable signaling device, if you wish to be found.

#215958 - 01/30/11 10:16 AM Re: Stoves question [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
there are so many in's and out's on stoves and fuel that to say "this is the one" is just about impossible.

Just a followup comment - Canoedogs is absolutely correct. What is important is familiarity and experience with whatever "system" you adopt.

BTW, for stay at home and car camping, I like to use box stoves rigged to use propane gas from the larger (25 pound) tanks. This is the same fuel that runs my barbecue grill. Once established, it is the easiest of all to use, even in very cold weather. You can also set up a system to run gas lights and multiple appliances. The gear is heavy, but at home that is not a consideration. Just be sure you have no leaks! The valve on the propane tank is a good safety device for that..

#215959 - 01/30/11 10:17 AM Re: Stoves question [Re: Chisel]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'm not sure about the most efficient, but the easiest car (and home) camping stove might be theColeman classic propane stove. I use alcohol when camping, but these have recently caught my eye for emergency home use. Ease of use and the fact you can use most normal sized household pots is a big plus. Anyone have experience with this stove?

#215960 - 01/30/11 11:54 AM Re: Stoves question [Re: LED]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I have one and it served the role of home stove back-up reliably for many years. We also took it on extended car trips; it isn't so big that I can't find a place for it. Not really a back-pack stove. Reliable, just like cooking on a regular gas stove.

Now that we have a gas stove at home, it doesn't get as much use. But for any type of situation where the weight and size is not a problem, it would be my first choice.

For a back-pack stove, I have an ancient Svea 123 that I have also found totally reliable.

#215961 - 01/30/11 12:11 PM Re: Stoves question [Re: LED]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: LED
I'm not sure about the most efficient, but the easiest car (and home) camping stove might be theColeman classic propane stove. I use alcohol when camping, but these have recently caught my eye for emergency home use. Ease of use and the fact you can use most normal sized household pots is a big plus. Anyone have experience with this stove?

I have decades of experience in all conditions with the similar Coleman liquid gas stove. I have used the propane model too and it is very good. The thing is though, in an emergency situation, you can't suck propane out of your truck or lawnmower gas tank.

It is solidly built and has a heavy grate, two burners, and a large windscreen. It burns readily available Coleman fuel or regular gasoline. The heat is fully controllable for each of the two burners, and you can use your regular cookware on it. It is virtually bullet-proof, folds up to briefcase size, and tucks away. Should any part ever wear out, replacement parts are available and cheap.

There is always the regular propane gas barbeque grill with side burner and standard tank, although I worry about the availability of refill propane in a large scale emergency. On nice summer days, I already have to stand in line at the gas station waiting for a propane fill, and paying through the nose to boot. An option if you live in an area where there is natural gas service, you can get a gas conversion kit for your grill, and have a gas quick-connect outlet installed on the back of your house. If you live in a rural area and have a big propane tank, you can have a gas outlet installed too. I would have a gas company technician do these installations for safety reasons.