Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#198564 - 03/21/10 05:01 AM USNS Comfort In Haiti; Job well done.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If your hurt after a disaster possibly the best news you can get is to find out your being flown out to a US hospital ship. This ship is huge, most of 900' long. It is a fully independent and complete, floating 1000 bed hospital with a helipad on top. The USN provides the helicopter carriers, the supply and support to keep her operational, and they do an outstanding job, but IMHO the core of the relief fleet is the hospital ship.

The USNS Comfort did a huge job in Haiti:
http://blog.usni.org/2010/03/20/photos-usns-comfort-in-haiti/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Comfort_%28T
AH-20%29#General_characteristics

Steam Cathedral:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USNS_Comfort_-_Engine_Room.jpg

To so many people in the world we are villains and bullies who come to exploit and force our will on others. To injured people of other nations carried to the USNS Comfort we are heroes and angels. The hospital ships represent the best of what our nation can do.

#198568 - 03/21/10 12:51 PM Re: USNS Comfort In Haiti; Job well done. [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
IIRC, this is not the first such gig for this ship. Did not it respond to the Indonesian tsunami? Definitely a great resource. It makes me glad I live near the coast.

#198582 - 03/21/10 05:31 PM Re: USNS Comfort In Haiti; Job well done. [Re: Art_in_FL]
BrianEagle Offline

Loc: Northern Texas
My hats off as well. Thank you for all that you've done to ease the suffering of the people of Haiti.

#198602 - 03/21/10 08:56 PM Re: USNS Comfort In Haiti; Job well done. [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
IIRC, this is not the first such gig for this ship. Did not it respond to the Indonesian tsunami? Definitely a great resource. It makes me glad I live near the coast.

Likely it was the USNS Mercy that went to the tsunami, as they're out of San Diego. Comfort is an East Coast ship.

Having just said that, it's entirely possible that Comfort could have gone, since they might have been in the Mid-East and therefore nearby.

#198617 - 03/21/10 11:17 PM Re: USNS Comfort In Haiti; Job well done. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Our DMAT team did the casualty collection/repatriation for the USNS Comfort while we were in Haiti. Everyone involved in the medical aspect of the response was extremely glad that they were there.

#198623 - 03/22/10 12:18 AM Re: USNS Comfort In Haiti; Job well done. [Re: Art_in_FL]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

To so many people in the world we are villains and bullies who come to exploit and force our will on others. To injured people of other nations carried to the USNS Comfort we are heroes and angels. The hospital ships represent the best of what our nation can do.

Both views can be true at the same time.
The world is not like Aristotle's logic demonstrations with everything divided neatly into black and white and nothing in between.
It is more like shades of gray with lots of fuzzy bits driven into in Chaotic turbulence.

Anyhow, I do agree. The hospital ships and field medical teams are truly heroic.
It is also a surprise how much we owe to Dr Norman Bethune for starting the idea.

#198905 - 03/25/10 02:07 AM Re: USNS Comfort In Haiti; Job well done. [Re: scafool]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
The Comfort was in NYC in response to the 9-11 attacks. It was ready for anything, but of course there was nobody to mend. I still remember how clean and sharp the ship was, and how professional and warm the crew was. Great people.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 347 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.