Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#147683 - 09/06/08 09:11 PM have you batter for goods/services?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Have you guys batter for goods/services instead of pay for cash?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/09/02/bartering.rise/index.html

CNN news indicated that a growing number of people batter for goods.

do you think this is viable method of transaction in recession?

#147688 - 09/06/08 09:27 PM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I think that you mean "barter," and yes I have, not in a "survival" situation, and it was kind of a backwards barter. I needed some electrical work done, a co-worker who is great at that did the work, then in exchange I helped him with some concrete work, something that I am so-so at...

#147689 - 09/06/08 09:31 PM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Same here.....usually an exchange of 'gear' that each of us had that we didn't want/need and the other guy could use.....I've had 'equal' barters and some where, monitarily, I 'lost' money...though I don't see it that way as I got something I really wanted at absolutely no cost to me and 'got rid of' some stuff that was only taking up space.......I always felt I got a good deal......

#147691 - 09/06/08 09:39 PM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: picard120]
LED Offline
Veteran

The only barters I've lost out on were the one's where someone helps you out and then you help 'em move. They always have the oldest, heaviest furniture and all those "other friends" who promised to help out that day miraculously had last minute emergencies and couldn't make it. smirk

#147700 - 09/07/08 12:11 AM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: LED]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
When my dad was in college one of his friend's dad was called "Trader Lee" and he ran a trading post. He said he'd rather trade for something then sell it because people were often willing to trade something of higher value then they would spend in cash. For instance, you might buy a turquoise necklace for thirty dollars, but you'll trade a fifty dollar watch for it. When my dad knew him he had a building full of stuff that he traded and sold like that, hats, guns, jewelry, even cars out front. He was also a millionaire. If you're a crafty businessman, I think barter is viable in any economy. Though I think you start seeing it more the further you are from stores. Soldiers on deployment will trade back and forth. People on the edges of civilization have less use for cash and practically none for plastic.

#147708 - 09/07/08 01:22 AM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: AROTC]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I own cleaning business, I don’t barter with customers, I give the price and clean. It’s simple this way.

But with friends and acquaintances I barter some electrical and auto repair skills I have. I give friends and acquaintances a discount price on cleaning, but no trading for what I do for my livelihood.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147726 - 09/07/08 02:57 AM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: BobS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Will work for food used to be my motto way back. Don't ever make that offer to a junkyard owner...

#147733 - 09/07/08 04:08 AM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: benjammin]
Angel Offline

I used to have about 30 chickens, I traded eggs for chicken feed at the feed store, gave some eggs to some of the ladies at the senior citizen center who would make me a cake now and then and raised some baby chicks to trade for vegetables from various neighbors gardens. All in all it was a win win situation. If I had a place to raise chickens where I live now I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

#147735 - 09/07/08 05:01 AM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: Angel]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I do websites (anything online), build/repair computers, computer networks, etc, and I also do metal fabrication. I trade the computer stuff often and do the metal fab for friends in exchange for helping me move, etc. I barter a LOT for/with my website stuff.

Trading someone some web work for jeep work even though I am capable just makes more sense pro do 1 pro do the other, possibly trading some computer work for some house work here soon, etc.

I plan to do minor bartering with Eggs too, they are more of a friend maker kind of thing to me I think. A reason to stay in touch.

We barter item for item too. If I didn't need money to get what I needed I'd be happy in a barter MOST of the time both are happy. I've learned to get what I want FIRST then I`m happy 99% of the time because I've been stuck waiting before too.

For me most of the companies I do websites for are that "companies" not a person so they trade their services which is great for me smile Just met a guy the other day who potentially wants to trade for some tree cutting services, etc.

Edited by ToddW (09/07/08 05:02 AM)

#147751 - 09/07/08 11:30 AM Re: have you batter for goods/services? [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Living at home, I had a garage that had been used for years by our family. I'd work on his computer for an hour, which is about how long it took for him to swap the tires and change the oil. Did this twice a year, and only had to pay the basic inspection fee. (I don't drive huge amount.)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.