Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121871 - 01/29/08 02:01 PM I'm not really...
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I'm not really a touchy feely sort of guy, but I can't agree with this more. Craigslist link Anyone else agree?

#121883 - 01/29/08 03:51 PM Re: I'm not really... [Re: Matt26]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Have to admit, kinda sums up how I feel in a nutshell. Biggest joy I used to get was the look of shock and fear replaced by a smile a mile wide when the person I was dealing with realized the 6'6" 400 pound gorilla with the heavy tatoos, electric blue mohawk and spike thru his nose was actually polite and kind. I still get the smile, but not the shocked response as I have mellowed out in the past five years laugh. I guess my mother did right by me when it came to teaching me manners, respect and courtesy. Even if she did fail in the dressing, hairstyle and jewelry dept.
:)):)):)):)):))

-Bill Liptak

#121884 - 01/29/08 04:05 PM Re: I'm not really... [Re: Matt26]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Unfortunately, we are all a product, to varying degrees, of intense programming towards a social standard very few, if any of us, can achieve. We are programmed to compete, to achieve, to always want more. Such an environment is going to induce aberrant behavior contrary to the common welfare of man.

The tenets of "Fight Club" make a lot of sense ( I know, I am breaking rules one and two. It happens). We get so bogged down in trying to become something other than what we really are, in acquiring things and doing things we were told would lead to happiness and success but in fact do just the opposite, in placing importance in stuff and forgetting what is really important, and then being wholly unsatisfied with our lives and knowing that for all the hard work and sacrifice we have accomplished absolutely nothing of value.

They say our world is now worth something like $160 trillion dollars. A hundred years ago it was maybe in the billions. Where did all that extra value come from? If the whole world contains the same mass and energy that it has had for thousands, if not millions of years, then how can the value be anything more than what it was yesterday, or last year, or a thousand years ago? We've acquired nothing new, we simply continuously divide the whole into ever smaller pieces. In fact, if anything, we've been steadily losing as time goes by, because most realize our world is finite, and each second is spent with no remuneration, so really our world is getting gradually smaller and smaller with respect to time.

When you realize that you truly possess nothing but a small amount of time, that each second of your life must be spent regardless of the value you get from it, and that all the money and possessions in the world will not buy you one more breath than what you have already been alotted, then maybe you will begin to understand what is important in life and what is simply an unattainable illusion. We are each solely responsible for our own happiness. To blame someone or something else for our dissatisfaction is a waste of our time, and prevents us from realizing the full value of our existence. We are seldom in control of our environment, but we always have a choice as to how to respond to whatever conditions we encounter. When you can distinguish between what is and isn't within your control, only then will you be able to find satisfaction with your life, and you will be free not only to accomplish the purpose of your existence, but to express a positive influence on those around you.

#121885 - 01/29/08 04:17 PM Re: I'm not really... [Re: benjammin]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Originally Posted By: benjammin
When you realize that you truly possess nothing but a small amount of time, that each second of your life must be spent regardless of the value you get from it, and that all the money and possessions in the world will not buy you one more breath than what you have already been alotted, then maybe you will begin to understand what is important in life and what is simply an unattainable illusion.

I am printing this out and taping it somewhere where I can see it everyday. Thank you for posting, Benjammin.

#121899 - 01/29/08 06:35 PM Re: I'm not really... [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
That is a great statement, Benjammin.

Bona Na Croin

#121903 - 01/29/08 07:06 PM Re: I'm not really... [Re: wolf]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Truly profound.

I bet he typed it with a cigar in his mouth. Am I the only one who things Benjammin's avatar picture makes him look like J. Jonah Jameson

#121908 - 01/29/08 08:17 PM Re: I'm not really... [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Nah, think more along the lines of Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation.

These little moments must be somehow linked to someone nearby firing up a microwave oven, and I have no idea who I am channeling then. I haven't wet myself yet, but sometimes I do forget who I am for a while.

#121923 - 01/29/08 11:41 PM Re: I'm not really... [Re: benjammin]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Actually Gomez from the Adams Family comes to mind when I saw his avatar

#121952 - 01/30/08 03:22 AM Re: I'm not really... [Re: raydarkhorse]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

How about Red Greene? Boy I miss that show cry

#121953 - 01/30/08 03:23 AM Re: I'm not really... [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Same here. Thanks gang for the input.
Matthew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 377 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.