The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116463 - 12/18/07 10:36 PM U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071218/ts_nm/disaster_preparedness_usa_dc_1;_ylt=AiksJfbDnDih2Mel1zpjpsIE1vAI

We are and have always been on our own.

Dave

#116468 - 12/18/07 11:24 PM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Microage97]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
First: {I can't state what I think, here, without violating the Board rules}

Second: I am not surprised that preparation funding has been getting cut. Refer to the First paragraph.

Third: I am noticing that people are getting more concerned about the Avian Flu that is apparently cranking up in Pakistan.

Fourth: Many more people are quietly preparing for home quarantines being put into place.

Fifth: Two years ago, the Avian Flu Virus had 5 mutations to make before it would become a hazard to Hu-mons. It sure made that transition quickly (1 to go????) all by itself??????

#116493 - 12/19/07 02:29 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Microage97]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*climbs to the top of a tall stool to sit*

Raise your hand if you are surprised.

*sitting on my hands, looking around*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116656 - 12/20/07 05:58 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
So the Bird Flu has infected 340 people in the last two years. As of right now, the world has 6,638,641,109 people. So thats... (counting on fingers)... one out of 19,525,415. Or so. I just looked, and while I was figuring, the world's population increased by 706.

Anyway, even if it did transmit directly to people, it could also mutate right out of it, too, couldn't it?

Think of Bird Flu as a magic trick: if our government keeps trumpeting about Bird Flu, what is it that they're NOT showing or saying?

I'm sitting on my hands, too.

Sue

#116694 - 12/20/07 02:28 PM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Susan]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
The more I read about Bird Flu, the more I recall the Swine Flu and all the preparations undetaken to combat it during Pres. Ford's adminsitration. And then, of course, swine flu was not a major problem for us. Seems to me like someone may be crying wolf about the Bird Flu.

Maybe not however, and pandemic is a possibility for which few are prepared. But few are also prepared for natural disasters, civil unrest and numerous other things too. I'm somewhat prepared, but really do not feel like it is enough. Becoming more prepared is something that we as individuals should do for ourselves and with and for those we care about.

#116696 - 12/20/07 02:38 PM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Dan_McI]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Seems to me like someone may be crying wolf about the Bird Flu.
Maybe not however, and pandemic is a possibility for which few are prepared. But few are also prepared for natural disasters, civil unrest and numerous other things too.

This is a major point that you mention. Sorting through the chaff (big pharma propaganda to actual news reports with all of the drama thrown in) to get to the wheat (factual information) leaves many in confusion as to what to believe, on a day by day basis!

I am beginning to think much of the "news" is 75% pure hype!

#116771 - 12/20/07 07:13 PM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The Swine Flu had one fatal victim. ONE. More people were affected by the faulty vaccine.

Sue

#116776 - 12/20/07 07:24 PM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Susan
. . .Anyway, even if it did transmit directly to people, it could also mutate right out of it, too, couldn't it?

Think of Bird Flu as a magic trick: if our government keeps trumpeting about Bird Flu, what is it that they're NOT showing or saying?

I'm sitting on my hands, too.

Sue
What they aren't showing is how much money they send to Keizer, et al. using Bird Flu as a smoke screen. When it does mutate to human-human transmission, it may or may not be fatal. What changes will happen when it mutates is a big unknown. It could be as bad as the Spanish Flu, worse or it could be a big ho-hum.

At this point I can do next to nothing directly about the Bird Flu so I'll prepare for earthquakes and wildfires and hope there's some cross-over.

#116785 - 12/20/07 07:59 PM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Anyway, even if it did transmit directly to people, it could also mutate right out of it, too, couldn't it?

I'd like to clarify this particular issue. Out of all the gadzillions of virii in all the birds/pigs/people, only ONE of the viruses would have to mutant into the direct-transmission form for this flu to begin spreading from person to person. But then ALL of its offspring would need to mutate back into a non-transmittable form.

Baically, it's like the cliche says, it's easier to get into truoble than out of it.

That being said, bird flu is still way down my fear-list.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#117025 - 12/22/07 12:45 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Blast]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Ya I believe that the bird flu is pretty much a lot of hype as it stands now, but it could easily mutate into something nasty kinda like the great flu pandemic. You just never know, that doesn't mean you need to hide under the bed though. At least for now. :-)

I am more worried about a bigger, better terrorist attack. I mean, if you think about it, 911 was pretty small on the scale of death vs impact on the US.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 376 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.