Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#115774 - 12/13/07 11:38 AM To tent of not to tent?
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
I've been looking online for a tent to buy but am frustrated by the lack of proper product pictures.

E.g., go to Kelty, Swiss Gear or some other website and view the tents and you'll get just one or two pics of the tent.

The main pic usually shows the tent with the "window" holes open, which makes it impossible for me to tell if it is covered by a mesh and if there is an additional cover flap (usually of the same material the tent wall is constructed from) with a zipper for closing.

I know that some manufacturers troll these forums, so take note and do a better job of presenting your equipment on your website.

Heck - I've seen individuals do a better job of presenting items on eBay with a much smaller budget available to them.

N.

#115920 - 12/14/07 07:18 PM Re: To tent of not to tent? [Re: Naseem]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My new favorite brand of tents is Alps Mountaineering. They've positioned themselves somewhere between the high-end tents and Eureka. Pretty similar to Kelty tents, but I tend to like the Alps Mountaineering features better.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com

So far I have a Meramac 6-person with heavy-duty floors and both fiberglass and aluminum pole sets, and for Christmas my wife just bought me a Taurus Outfitter 5-person. The Meramac makes a great warm-weather tent, and the Taurus is a great cool-weather tent.

If you happen to be involved in Scouting (Boy, Cub, Girl, ...), they'll give you a 45% discount, which is FANTASTIC!!

For a 4-season tent, the best deal I've found is a Eureka Assault Outfitter 4-person tent.

Ken K.

Edited by KenK (12/14/07 07:20 PM)

#115935 - 12/14/07 10:17 PM Re: To tent of not to tent? [Re: KenK]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

They look like fine tents. I have the Eureka one man, use it even in deep winter and it is excellent.

#115948 - 12/15/07 12:23 AM Re: To tent of not to tent? [Re: Naseem]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I gave up on tents, the ones lite enough to carry on a long trip are out of my price range. I use what they call an Alpha thent on alpharubicon. Basiclly a poncho supported by custom cut (easily done yourself)fiberglass tent poles. It is easy to set up and works well as a three season tent, and for me the big bonus is the since I normally carry everthing it takes to make and set it up there is no extra wieght except the poles. The only draw back for some is the lack of a floor, but it's easily fixed by my casaulty blanket.

#115956 - 12/15/07 01:13 AM Re: To tent of not to tent? [Re: Naseem]
widget Offline
Addict

This site makes it easy to pick a tent and to see more pictures than any other site I know of. Great service too, I bought my tent from them.

http://www.moontrail.com/home.php

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.