http://scienceblogs.com/casaubonsbook/2011/01/ten_basic_preparations_for_a_n.php

I like this a lot. It is IMO more of what we need. Practical information that is doable for working people in hard times. It is cheap, when money is tight; easy, as almost everyone is overworked; quick, when finding time to eat and sleep is often impossible.

Being American we come from a long tradition of tackling problems by throwing money and material at them. No problem is too small or insignificant to not justify buying another item or tool. Often in great numbers. The reflex is to buy more, carry more, stack up more, and still more after that. Which is okay if you have money to buy it, time to look after it, a place to store it, a way to move it, patience to keep it organized.

Most Americans don't have the money, time, place, cargo capacity, or patience remaining to invest heavily in survival gear or supplies. Paying the rent, getting the kids to school, and food for the next meal consume the day and available resources.

In this context long lists of survival supplies are meaningless. If a hard pressed family cannot make a meaningful investment in survival with less than $50 and an investment of half an hour they are not going to undertake the effort. Advocate shooting for the moon and they will never leave the ground. We don't need inspiring examples of broad materialism because 99% of Americans are too busy making the rent to do more than look on in wonder.

We need simple, easy, inexpensive plans and actions that people with limited resources of time, money, patience can wrap their heads around and fit into their hard pressed lives. Ten Basic Preparations for a New Year is a series of small scale projects that almost every family could do. I like that. I like that a lot.