Every summer for the last 9 years we have spent a week or two in Colorado on vacation. We stay at 10,000 feet and the hiking is all up from there. I am always trying different gear set-ups. I keep hoping for a system that will drag my butt up the mountains but no luck so far. Anyway, this past spring I picked up a surplus LBE which is a military web belt system with shoulder harness. My kit came with two canteens, a canteen cup, two M16 magazine pouches, and a butt pack. I love the setup and believe that it is my favorite to date. I like that it is cooler than wearing a backpack. It doesn't seem to be in the way much. The belt will carry part of the weight which helps. I used the magazine pouches and a very small and light weight shoulder bag to carry things I wanted close at hand, canteens full of water, and the butt pack to carry the rest of my gear. It has just the right amount of room for a complete day kit with room for plenty of emergency gear. It would also be easy to use it for overnight trips.

If you haven't tried this system, check it out at your local surplus store.

David Enoch