I know - "knife" is like the magic word in these forums... smile

Here's a piece of advice for persons on getting their first knife - use it a lot in the safety of your home before you take it out to the field.

Wear it on your belt (or where ever) and use it for every conceivable use (within safety limits) so that you would get use to it. Practice removing it from the sheath and replacing it numerous times.

Take it into the garden and use it as much as possible. Only after hours of use should you take it into an outdoors environment.

Why?

Most persons on getting their first knife will not be accustomed to carrying and using one and will eventually cut themselves. Most times it's a minor nick, but sometimes it's pretty serious and they'll need some medical attention.

Get accustomed to your knife in a controlled environment before taking it into the field. I've seen too often what happens when people are not accustomed to knives and then they're in a situation where they carry it as a necessity. Too many mistakes are made and this can be potentially dangerous.

Also I've seen people use knives and loose them in the field. Usually this is from the lack of habit in replacing the knife in the sheath when not using it - they usually leave the knife on the ground or somewhere like if they were in their own kitchen.

Oh yes - I've done some of these too...

Naseem.