I am catching up here ( crashed server). The ever popular knife topic has covered a few unique approaches. The ATAX, Tom Brown Tracker and Chris Janowskie's Ranger represent attempts to create a versatile tool ( and income) On the other hand, Mors Kochanski advocates humble Moras. In the middle are the robust Fallkniven, Cold Steel ,Beckers et al. Please remember we live in a world where timeless skills such as knife use are either lost or socially suspect. Multi use designs such as an ATAX and the simple Moras require KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE. The novice will either break the tool or inflict a self injury. This is where robust,simple knives with good grips and guards really perform: not amputating phone books, impaling car doors or winning macho name contests. Just working for people who are cold and scared. I personally carry a tool kit that looks like a page from an old Bureau of Ethnology volume. It seems to arouse less worry from people. Secure in my serious kit is a Fallkniven. I shot myself with the ATAX slingshot and the range holes on Chris' Ranger refuse to cooperate with my prescription ;O)