I just returned from a survival-like situation which could have been much worse.<br><br>Thrown from my horse on a back country trip in the Gallatin National Forest (o.k., we'll call it a non-traditional dismount!). I have the following observations:<br>1) The survival kits in tins, in my fanny pack, made a perfect imprint on my butt and lower back. But the kit was intact.<br>2) You can put your patella back in place by yourself.<br>3) Cracked ribs hurt more later than now... go ahead and try to ride back to camp.<br>4) Vicodin and other codeine-based pain killers are insufficient, at least in my circumstance. In the future I'll have some of the real stuff on board. Probably mepergan or demerol, but something very strong. One can ignore minor (ibuprofin -level) pain. But there IS a place for a pain killer that will almost knock you out and allow you to sleep.<br>5) My kits are now wrapped in Coban (also called Vet Wrap). This is a self-sticky latex based ace-bandage type wrap. It is good tinder, it keeps joints in place, it makes you think your ribs are going to stay in your chest, and it can be re-used. It seems to stick and hold wound dressings when wet, also. <br><br>As the cowboys say: "you never know what a horse is going to do... and they don't neither!. Its that old, gentle one that'll kill you.<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NAro on 06/13/01 01:47 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>