Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#275707 - 07/08/15 07:17 AM Tint your car windows for safety???
Bingley Offline
Veteran

What do you think of the truth behind this statement?

Quote:
The most important advantage of window tint is ironically the most unknown. In vehicle accidents which would usually cause the windows to shatter, spraying the occupants with hundreds of tiny sharp pieces of broken glass, the strong adhesive tint film will hold the cracked glass together preventing it from doing any damage. Any quality tinting film will be strong enough to hold the glass together even in the worst of accidents. I've heard tons of horror stories about injured crash victims who've been sprayed by the tiny shrapnel-like bits of glass, mostly from policemen and ambulance drivers who've been scared straight from accident scenes to my shop.

http://mnowicki.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Should-I-tint-my-car-windows

#275708 - 07/08/15 07:47 AM Re: Tint your car windows for safety??? [Re: Bingley]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Bingley
What do you think of the truth behind this statement?

Quote:
The most important advantage of window tint is ironically the most unknown. In vehicle accidents which would usually cause the windows to shatter, spraying the occupants with hundreds of tiny sharp pieces of broken glass, the strong adhesive tint film will hold the cracked glass together preventing it from doing any damage. Any quality tinting film will be strong enough to hold the glass together even in the worst of accidents. I've heard tons of horror stories about injured crash victims who've been sprayed by the tiny shrapnel-like bits of glass, mostly from policemen and ambulance drivers who've been scared straight from accident scenes to my shop.

http://mnowicki.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Should-I-tint-my-car-windows

Truth? Its your basic advertising falsehood smile

Spall does happen, but I don't think its a significant hazard (below papercut)

Before 1929 before laminated windshields flying glass killed people, but it doesn't anymore.

I recall reading ... (here?) ... about firemen facing increased risk from cutting through windshield because it produces glass dust ... but its a chronic cumulative lifetime exposure deal ... and firemen deal with it by using film before cutting the glass, Glass management: It's more than smashing windows

#275709 - 07/08/15 08:22 AM Re: Tint your car windows for safety??? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Never saw much issue with temperated glass. Yes, they can cause (light) cuts and having them flying in your eyes is bad. (most modern cars have side/curtain airbags which creates a extra barrier anyways). Making the glass stay in place with film or by using laminated glass does make it hard/impossible to smash the windows. This can be good against people try to steel things, bad if are trapped in the car, which is sinking in water.

I read that laminated side windows would be normal soon in the US, but couldn't find anything from a official source, only here http://blog.holmatro.com/blogs/47-glass-management-an-eye-to-the-future.html

For a rescue personell, glass dust is nasty. Some fireservices even make it mandatory to wear the breathing apparatus when cutting laminated glass.

#275721 - 07/09/15 07:20 AM Re: Tint your car windows for safety??? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Just sharing the results of my google-fu -- this is from a firefighter answering the question "does the tint film make it harder to break the window and escape in an emergency?":

Quote:
Well I kicked this question around with a few of the guys at the firehouse just now and this is what we came up with. The tint would hold the glass together, just like the laminated glass of your front and rear windowshield. The difference though is that the side windows are not sealed in like the windshield. With that said you should still be able to just push the side window out once it is broken. So brake the window and just push the whole thing out as one. Shouldn't be that much harder if any to get out.

http://www.avengerforumz.com/archive/index.php/t-18682.html

I'd like to see people test this in a junk yard...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 256 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.