The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265209 - 11/19/13 07:10 AM No Drama Winter Car Kit
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
a few years ago Minneapolis got hit with a long nasty winter.

now i don't want to use the word "panic" but the thought of having my old canoe hauling car break down drove me to some over the top survival ideas....like...

turning the car into something like a mountain hut.

this winter i dialed things back a bit.with a good cell phone as a in city PLB and a bag of my old but very good winter parka,boots,gloves,wool pants and a ski mask i should be able to stay warm until a tow truck arrives.
most places i drive this in the winter i could walk home from! our SUV is new and i don't worry about it snapping a belt or having a major part fail like this 92 might do.
we are not out West or in farm country where help could be a problem. the Minneapolis area has plenty of traffic or places to walk into to wait if i did not want to stay with the car.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/19/13 11:09 PM)

#265210 - 11/19/13 10:47 AM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I live across the border from you in Sioux Falls, SD. This time of year in this part of the country everyone with half a brain is doing what you're doing. Sadly, nowadays it seems like few people do have at least half a brain! Your kit looks good. Right now all I have in my truck is an extra coat, cap and gloves along with some traction mats that have worked pretty well in the past. Next time I take a trip out of town I'll add a bit more winter supplies.

#265212 - 11/19/13 02:12 PM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Even in warmer places, a good kit makes sense. I have always had a sleeping bag, as well as a canteen or two, and a few Clif bars...Screwdrivers and pliers come in very handy.

#265214 - 11/19/13 03:21 PM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I remember that winter, I pulled out about 30 people over the winter, and about 17 in one storm. Lets hope for a nice mild winter. smile

#265217 - 11/19/13 05:37 PM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

after reading that Tyber saved 17 cars in just one storm i added a few things to my kit

it might take hours for that tow so a hot cup of coco and a MRE brownie will take the chill off.the ash tray is to hold that large candle which by the way is made from a wax you can eat!!

#265227 - 11/20/13 02:01 PM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Wax you can eat?

Regards,
Bill

#265230 - 11/20/13 03:49 PM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
We've had some great winter car survival threads. Worth dusting off one or two of those.

My driving is mostly east coast and not on remote roads but even in the middle of the city on a clear day I've waited 2 hours for a AAA tow truck to show up. So my major criteria for winter car survival is the ability to simply stay warm in the car. To that end, my winter car gear includes:

20-degree sleeping bag
down booties
gloves/hat/neck gaiter/balaclava/long underwear
chemical hand warmers
Gore-Tex boots, Smartwool socks, waterproof pants

Year around, I have the usual assortment of survival stuff in there, such as fire-making gear and water. Throw in some energy bars and I and passengers would be in decent shape for situations short of armageddon.

My dog (a Samoyed) is often with me so for her I keep a few days of food and water in the car (an SUV). It's a dehydrated raw dog food which is great for travel. She'd be the first to get cranky if we were stranded on some road during her dinner hour.

Remember that a top priority for winter car survival is keeping ample gas in the fuel tank so you can run the heater. When I get to half a tank -- especially in inclement weather -- I start looking for a gas station.

#265233 - 11/20/13 07:09 PM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: williamlatham]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Bill..when i first found ETS some years ago i sort of went "survival crazy",in a nice way.no basement full of stuff but i did look around the web for gear that might come in handy if a canoe trip went bad.before ETS it was just a few things in a PFD and what in the world was a PLB and they cost what!!
so anyway i found a supplier who sold edible candles.
"shave some on toast" was the lead on the sales blurb.
so i got a few.made from the oils found in olives and other foods rather than petro oils you should be able to eat one in a pinch.what got me into the "eat your candles" idea was reading some old,pre WW1,accounts of British hikers and climbers doing that when they were lost or snowbound.maybe back then tallow candles were still available.

#265242 - 11/21/13 12:06 AM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Never letting your gas tank get below half full is also a good idea in earthquake country. EQs will really shake up and disrupt the gasoline distribution system.

#265246 - 11/21/13 05:39 AM Re: No Drama Winter Car Kit [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Historically I've been pretty bad about keeping my gas tank topped off. But I've been making a concerted effort to keep my truck up above half full. In the winter it's essential; one might have to run the engine for awhile or one might get stuck. Gotta have some margin for error.

Now that we have a Costco in Sioux Falls (yay!) I stop every Monday and top off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 85 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
Yesterday at 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.