Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199782 - 04/07/10 03:01 AM FAK: Things your going to run out of #1
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Today: alcohol wipes and things to take the grease off.

Everyone has band-aids in their First Aid Kit(FAK). Lots of people have butterfly strips or steri-strips for closing minor lacerations. Most everyone is planning on using tape or Kerlix, or similar products, to hold on gauze pads. The bad news: If you can't get the skin clean all those materials are going to fall off. They might be useless. I have seen Kerlix and other co-adhesive stretch wraps slide down a limb when the skin was oily.

But you have alcohol wipes you say. This isn't an issue. Really? How many do you have on hand? Given someone who hasn't bathed in a day, or five, skin that is coated with human grease, fat and oil from cooking, sunscreen, body lotion, mud, and crud your going to need a lot of this sort of thing if you want any adhesives to stick.

Given volume use how long are your skin cleaning supplies going to last? There is always soap and water. It is perhaps the best cleaning agent we have. But accidents don't always happen near municipal water. Away from water on tap I have used two or three of the small single-use swabs, commonly used for sterilizing the skin for a shot, to get a single band-aid to stick.

Most FAKs I have seen have only a half dozen of those alcohol swabs. Some commercial kits only three. You might be able to press hand sanitizer into service and use gauze, or your tee shirt, to scrub the grease and crud off. But don't count on it if it is one of the hand sanitizers with moisturizer in it. Nothing sticks to skin coated with moisturizer. The dry-touch moisturizers are even worse. They are like Teflon for skin.

Look critically at your FAK and what you have on hand. A large number of the single-use alcohol swabs might work, especially if they are not the smallest ones. Larger single-use swabs are better than the smallest. A bandanna wet with water from a canteen can remove a good bit of the worse of the crud. Moist towelettes can be good if they don't contain a moisturizer. Baby wipes might work but most of them have moisturizers or aloe in them and while you might be able to take off the worst of the mud and grease you might need to follow up with alcohol swabs to get down to bare skin that will take an adhesive to best effect.

A small bottle of rubbing alcohol is helpful and can do the work of dozens of the single-use swabs but you need to pack extra gauze or cotton balls to scrub the dirt off and for drying. I prefer gauze over the balls or bulk cotton. A clean bandanna is handy and can be reused after washing. Non-sterile gauze pads, about half the price and 99% of the sterility, work well for cleaning. Keep cleaning in mind when buying hand sanitizer and avoid any with moisturizers, aloe, or heavy perfumes.

Don't run out of cleaning supplies before you run out of dirt. Be generous in your estimates and have more than you need on hand. Both alcohol swabs and alcohol based hand cleaner, without moisturizer, have other uses beside cleaning the area around a wound.

But what happens if you run out of cleaning supplies. Or just don't have time to do the clean thing as well as you might. What then? There are two types of bandage that seem to work pretty well on dirty, greasy skin; triangular bandages and cloth elastic bandages, commonly called Ace bandages. They don't depend on any adhesive and are rough enough to 'bite through' a layer or two of human grease.

If you ever have to bandage a significant wound on someone who has applied any of the popular dry-touch moisturizers or sunscreens a triangular or elastic bandage may be your best bet.

If it is just to get a band-aide to stick I've scrubbed the area roughly several times with an alcohol swab to get he moisturizer off. There is a product, similar to a single-use, foil-wrapped, alcohol swab but wet with acetone. They strip off the dry-touch moisturizers quickly. They also dissolve leftover adhesive from tape, and soften superglue. Consider a short supply of these in your kit. They also take off nail polish so you can observe the nail bed, sometimes a helpful diagnostic clue, and work as fire starters. Used too aggressively they can de-fat the skin and cause it to redden, dry, and peel repeatedly. So use care.

#199783 - 04/07/10 04:13 AM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
I'm not sure I'd want to use anyhing with Acetone on my skin or anyone else's.

Link to the product ?

#199784 - 04/07/10 04:15 AM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hydrogen Peroxide! Cuts thru dirt,grease,oil Very well! & Is Dirt cheap! Can also be used to wash the mouth out,It is a Definite Multi-use Necessity for Everyone,& did I mention,Cheap?

#199789 - 04/07/10 05:22 AM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: Richlacal]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
No Offense Intended to the Original post!Acetone does a Damn good job of cleaning dryed paint,caulking,silicone sealant,& even cured JB Weld from,just about any surface.It has an Extremely LOW Flash-point,making it Extremely Volatile.The pores of your skin will Readily absorb this Chemical,It is basically made from Ultra-Refined Wood Alcohol,& It is Toxic!It melts most plastics,& Stinks to High Heaven!I'm fairly certain it is the main Ingedient of Nail Polish remover,check the ladies stash,open it up & That smell will tell you,Right away!I would call it a Multi-use chemical for sure,but the only skin one would care to contact this with would be that of The Common Zombie!I use this stuff on a daily basis,at work, with gloves,Mask,& Lotsa' Ventilation!

#199793 - 04/07/10 10:58 AM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
NAro Offline
Addict

I keep collodion
http://www.newskinproducts.com/liquid-bandage.htm
in my FAK. It covers small cuts and abrasions without a bandage. It makes tape/bandages adhere to dirty-greasy skin if you paint it freely around the borders of the wound. It is volatile enough to enable a scrap of cloth to catch a spark as a fire-starting aid.

...and it stings like heck, by the way.

#199794 - 04/07/10 11:00 AM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: Richlacal]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I keep at least one good size bottle of Betadine and Betadine scrub on hand in both the house and barn. Both can be found in feed stores in larger bottles and for less money than drug stores. In my car kit it's in smaller bottles.

#199795 - 04/07/10 11:08 AM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not sure this has been a big issue in real world situations (mine, at least). I tend to bring lots of sanitizer (double use as fire starter) and use Ace bandages a lot. I am not a fan of alcohol preps because their wrappers tend to micropuncture and dry out.....

#199796 - 04/07/10 11:10 AM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: Richlacal]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Agree. I also use acetone a fair amount , only with gloves and good ventilation.

#199812 - 04/07/10 02:45 PM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: hikermor]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I've got to say, cleaning the skin around any sort of a major cut with rubbing alcohol sounds like it has the potential to be extremely painful.

Most of the cuts / scrapes I wind up cleaning up are on my two kids. They would allow me to clean the area with alcohol exactly once (if I'm lucky). They would never let me near their broken skin ever again.

#199815 - 04/07/10 03:19 PM Re: FAK: Things your going to run out of #1 [Re: hikermor]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Sepsis is not a joke and cleanliness can be important.

However, I have a problem with lotions and potions in first aid.
The people who trained me told me to put nothing on a wound.
Not even iodine or weak peroxide.
If all I am trying to do is keep them breathing until they can get to a doctor's care then I am not going to worry much about infection or even about cleaning the wound.
Most of the time attempts to clean wounds in the field cause more harm than good.

Wound closure is the doctor's job, so I am really just going to use bandages that I can tie on and pressure pads to stop the bleeding if I have to. Sticky stuff just has to be removed when the doctor gets to it anyway and often means more damage when it is pulled off.
Wounds with big pieces of junk (glass, wood, metal) in them just get padded and immobilized until a doctor can deal with removing whatever it is that is stuck in the wound.
There is too much risk of me causing even more damage by trying to remove it at the scene.

If the wound is a minor boo-boo cut and I am closing it with a bandaid then a bit of soap and water goes a long way.
Try to keep soap out of cuts but irrigate with clean water to remove anything foreign like dirt or glass. (saline is nice but not required)
Pieces of junk in the wound cause more trouble than you might expect because the body must work on rejecting them, plus they provide a site for bacteria to grow on inside the wound.

Again, infections are for the doctors to treat with proper drugs and are not (in my opinion) my problem as a first aider.

If we are talking about long term bush medicine that becomes a different game entirely and I am not qualified.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 275 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by dougwalkabout
30 minutes 59 seconds ago
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.