Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149969 - 09/23/08 10:12 PM A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place!
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
It was in the afternoon, I heard my neighbor crying so I checked out in the hall if she was okay. There was a large puddle of black oil all over the stairway in the appartement building. She saw an old man with a baseball cap drop a red can of oil and running away but unfortunately my neighbor panicked and she took the can in her hands ruining the fingerprints. She doesn't have a clear description of the man. We immediately called the police and a firefighter truck came. They poured peat moss all over the stairway and everything to clean the place. The main entrance door doesn't have a lock. We asked the owner many times to install a lock.

If the pyronamiac had the time to light the oil puddle on fire I don't know if the small BC extinctor would have been sufficient and worked on oil based fire and I never used one. The odor was strong but I guess it's not really a hazard and we open doors for air flow. How can one prepare for such a weird emergency? My Bug-Out bag is not really put together yet...

My neighbors are worried the guy would come back during night and accomplish his weird impulse. I asked them if their smoke alarms are working. Do you know something about pyromaniac psychological profile and if he would come back soon or anything?

Frankie

#149971 - 09/23/08 10:27 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Frankie]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Arson fires are all over the 5 o'clock news down here in the US: see if the Fire Department wants to get out a story on this pyro (make sure they agree this was attempted arson). I'm no psychologist, but he'd be less likely to come back to the exact scene of the crime if there was publicity out there about this.

#149973 - 09/23/08 10:33 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Frankie]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
If you get the chance, try to light a small puddle oil on fire. It's very difficult, and if it does light it seems to go right out. If it was just oil or fuel oil (diesel) I wouldn't have been as worried. Now if it was gas/naptha/Bacardi 151/ect I'd be much more concerned. wink

#149975 - 09/23/08 11:05 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Paul810]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
Cops will check the crowd when there's a fire because pyromaniacs are known to enjoy watching their dastardly deeds. They are sometimes observed mixing with the crowd of onlookers while performing auto-sexual acts.

#149977 - 09/23/08 11:36 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Colourful]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
check the landlord's finances....

BTW, at least in MOST states of the USA, attempting arson on an inhabited building is considered a deadly threat, and can be stopped with deadly force
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#149978 - 09/23/08 11:46 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Paul810]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Paul810
If you get the chance, try to light a small puddle oil on fire. It's very difficult, and if it does light it seems to go right out. If it was just oil or fuel oil (diesel) I wouldn't have been as worried. Now if it was gas/naptha/Bacardi 151/ect I'd be much more concerned. wink

That is right, I did my research... Well maybe he didn't want to put fire on the building. It was very slippery and there was oil everywhere in the starway. Its very strange, I don't know what this guy had in mind.

Frankie

#149991 - 09/24/08 02:37 AM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Frankie]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Maybe the guy was just doing an oil change on his old car, and dropped the oil container at some point, and just ran because he was afraid he was going to get billed for the cleanup?

Just a thought...

Pyromaniacs usually just use gasoline (oh wait, with such high gas prices... lol!).

#150004 - 09/24/08 04:57 AM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: SARbound]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Have a bigger ext. in your apt?
Don't live where others can f-up your life easily (in apts, condos, tall buildings, etc)

-Todd

#150005 - 09/24/08 05:27 AM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Todd W]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
On a side note, tell your landlord to look at having Simplex or simplex style locks put in the main entrance door. They're push-button combination locks for doors.
Then he just has to give out a code instead of a bunch of keys.

It won't stop people from giving out the code to friends/family (or stop someone who really really wants in), but it will stop someone on the street from just casually walking right in. Which, is basically what you're looking for here. They range in price from $200 to $800 depending on security level and style, but they're worth it when the other option is leaving a door completely open.

You may even be able to take up a collection in your apartment building to have it done, then all you would have to do is get the land lord to approve it.

#150007 - 09/24/08 07:56 AM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: Paul810]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Arson may not have been the intention if the liquid was lubricating oil.
As others point out, lubricant is hard to ignite, perhaps the intention was simply vandalism/messing up the place.
Or as suggested above it might possibly have been an accident.

Diesel fuel is hard to ignite unless soaked into a porous surface such as carpet, when it ignites easliy.
(a firefighter once told me that proffesional arsonists use diesel or kerosene, never gasoline. Diesel or kerosene burn fiercly and will often destroy the building, and murder any occupants. Gasoline is liable to explode and kill the arsonist)

I would agree that the street door should be locked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/16/24 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.