Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127528 - 03/17/08 02:12 AM College EDC
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
Im a new member here and i have a question or two for the more experienced members here.

I am a student at a small residential college that has an active railroad through the middle of campus, my dorm building and truck are on the opposite side of the tracks from my classes. There are very few liquid containers on the trains that go by and no passenger cars, it is only freight. If the train stops on the tracks the only way to cross is a small overpass at the far corner of campus. I ride a mountain bike most everywhere on campus so the mile long detour isnt too much of a hassle for me but it worries me when i think of the train derailing.
What would you suggest as an EDC kit?
Im never more than a mile or so from my vehicle or dorm room so i would only focus on getting to one of those two places.
Also if a train were to derail at say 60mph how far off the tracks could the cars end up? My dorm building is maybe 200 feet away from the tracks.
Thanks for the advice

#127531 - 03/17/08 02:57 AM Re: College EDC [Re: EHCRain10]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Depending upon the terrain, how a particular car leaves the tracks and several other factors you could have one parked in the first floor. Probably not real likely but it is possible.

The big problem is a chem spill. Even worse is gaseous. Regardless your dorm and truck could easily be in the contamination zone. You need to base your plans upon the fact you might not be able to get there. Even an accident without any contamination might be cordoned off by the atthorities for an indefinate amout of time. You might have to detour much farther than you think.

Plan for an alternate location on your side of the tracks. Or possibly a cashe of supplies.

For EDC figure it should be pretty much a standard affair. Maybe toss a few snacks and drinks plus somethink to pass time.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#127543 - 03/17/08 11:30 AM Re: College EDC [Re: Raspy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Check school regs, campus security, and local law enforcement about what things are on the no-no list. Recent events have increased the official pucker factor to almost TSA proportions in some places.

Sharps are always questioned, be sure you know what is a legal carry.. Chemical anything, even handwarmers, ditto.

My brother was a deputy sheriff, a leutenant for a major university police force, and is now chief of a smaller school district police force. He and I research knife laws from time to time. There are state, school, airline, and local knife rules - and none of them are the same. You have to go with the common denominator, the sharp that meets all the criteria for you EDC to pass muster.

And if you have to go into high security areas, or courtrooms, etc. ther are almost certainly other set of rules.

Homework never ends.

Your railroad situation confronts you with the possibility of dividing your world in two with a physical, chemical, or other barrier.

So, you need duplicate gear - one set on each side of the probable divide, and also a retreat from the railroad area on each side. My suggestion: make friends on each side and agree to take each other in if the worst happens, be a regular at at least one business establishment on each side that might be able to help you, and find out the evacuation plans which let you check out shelters on each side in case of the worst. If you can afford it - and I sure couldn't when I was a student - stash a cache on each side.

Good luck!

#127544 - 03/17/08 11:49 AM Re: College EDC [Re: EHCRain10]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Obviously you can keep kits with lots of gear in both your truck and dorm on one side of the tracks, the Q is what to EDC on the other side while you are attending classes. The only thing I'd be concerned with is immediate, how to egress. Things that come to mind are face masks, eye protection (dust), leather gloves, appropriate footwear.

Where do you store your bike while in class? Do you have a bike tool kit?

#127546 - 03/17/08 12:27 PM Re: College EDC [Re: Russ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
My opinions about EDC on campus are probably not altogether aligned with the mainstream of thinking, but then again I don't put my faith in the ability of any security group to protect me or mine from attacks or catastrophies beyond a very limited and mostly ineffective point. My recommendations are to keep on you what you think you will need to effect your escape from a potentially hostile or lethal enivronment, within reason, and to be wholly inconspicuous about what you carry. That said, there are a number of assumptions that can be made about the situation you are likely to find yourself. For the most part, you are not likely to need to evacuate the campus altogether, and wherever you end up, it is likely you will have food and a place to sleep, such is the nature of communal living. Orienteering and firemaking are not high priorities. A means of contact with the outside world might be a good idea (eg cell phone) so that loved ones can be assured you are okay, or so that in the event you are the first on the scene you can call in aid. You have a bike, which makes you mobile enough.

All that is left then, for the most part, are really comfort and security items.

#127547 - 03/17/08 12:30 PM Re: College EDC [Re: Russ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you can get from your class to your dorm without too long of a detour, even in the event of a derailment, then egress from the scene is possibly the biggest issue. I know you mentioned there not being much liquid, but on tank of something bad is enough to be a big problem. In addition, plenty of solids can burn and put out some nasty gases. Something like this may be a good idea: http://www.botachtactical.com/tebrofli.html.

When assessing survival, think about how long you can live without something, and consider the rules of three. You can live for: three minutes without air; three hours without shelter (depending on your environment, in a blizzard for example you may not have much time), include clothes in shelter; three days without water; and three weeks without food. Also, if you can, have three soures for everything you will count on. One can be the normal source, one can be something you create from the environment, one should have some preparation. So, water that comes from the tap is one source, a bottle in your closet in another, a third may be a method of treating water. the right ones for you are the ones that can work in your area.

#127554 - 03/17/08 01:30 PM Re: College EDC [Re: EHCRain10]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

As has already been said, you probably won't need anything other than some comfort items. Being on a college campus, you probably won't have to worry about food or a place to lay your head for long.

As for the train thing, my only experience with one of those is from the news on TV. From all the overheads they show, it doesn't look like the cars make it 200ft from the tracks. But, trains carry everything, and the potential for a hazmat incident is huge. Other than a paper type mask, in one of those 'bout all you can do is boogie away on your bike asap...

#127557 - 03/17/08 01:46 PM Re: College EDC [Re: Dan_McI]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The best think is not carried on person, but in somebody's brains. Most importent thing is to take cover when your too close and in the way. In the event of chemicals spills, check the direction of the wind. Do NOT stay in the downwind area. Equipment are just tools, they can be of great help, but knowing what to do is better.

Getting to know the risks will also help you in preparing for such an event. Is the track straight? is it a single or double track? What kind of chemicals are carried? Do you know how to read the UN and GEVI numbers on the hazardous materials signs? etc.

#127573 - 03/17/08 04:54 PM Re: College EDC [Re: Tjin]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
The track is a straight single track the only curve is about 3/4 to a mile down the tracks. It is at a lower elevation than the rest of campus.
My campus security consists of a 4 member force, none of which would be of much help other than to call the state police, campus is half a mile away from interstate 81 near the VA/Tenn border.
My dorm and truck are slightly uphill from the tacks.
I do have a small tool kit for my bike that stays with the bike at all times, it hold a tire repair kit, air pump, Leatherman kick, and a multi-tool built just for bikes.

I do not know how to read the hazardous material signs, but i would like to learn how, that could be highly important.

My EDC right now is my wallet, camera-phone, pocketknife ( fixed or folder under 3inch blade length) and everything on the bike. My backpack always has a nalgene bottle and some small snacks in it.

#127575 - 03/17/08 05:02 PM Re: College EDC [Re: EHCRain10]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
PC2K is right about what's in your brain being the msot important.

If you do want to read stuff on hazmat placards, take a look at: http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/hazmat/placards/

The colors are the most basic thing for which to look. Next you'd probably look at the numbers of the classes, 2.1 flammable gases for example. Finally, there should be another number that identifies the specific substance. If you saw and number and looked here, below the sport where it says "2004 ERG sorted by UN Number," you might be able to identify something specific:

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/hazmat/erg/ s for

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 307 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.