Topic Options
#123890 - 02/14/08 11:42 PM locating a WaterCone
RobertNielsen Offline
former wild SAR operator
Stranger

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Greetings,

http://www.watercone.com

This is a really cool idea! Anyone know where one could be purchased?

Cheers,
Robert
robert@dakota.org

#123893 - 02/15/08 01:39 AM Re: locating a WaterCone [Re: RobertNielsen]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Looks like something too big to have when you really need it, and for only 1.6l of water a day. Morebetter to have a sheet of plastic, dig a hole, etc. And most people don't feel that those are worth the trouble...

#123906 - 02/15/08 05:00 AM Re: locating a WaterCone [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Never played with solar stills, in this part of the country ( Ohio/ Michigan) I don’t think there is a need for them, lots of places to find water. If I were in a dryer climate I would think about one.

It does look bulky; if you can’t fine one, you may be able to make one out of a wire frame that you could wrap with clear plastic. Or go to a Home Depot type of store and look for a few of those clear hard plastic basement (ground level) covers. Put 2 of them butted together. That and a way to catch the water and it should work.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#123923 - 02/15/08 01:33 PM Re: locating a WaterCone [Re: BobS]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you jsut want to buy something like this, then take a look at: http://www.landfallnavigation.com/memss.html. You might be able to find one elsewhere for a better price.

Kind of disagree with BobS. I think solar still are for when you have water, but you just do not know how clean it is. I'm sure there are a few chemicals that could evaporate and condense with water, but there are few of them. Bacteria and other comtaminants should be left behind in the "brine." A solar still should take care of cleaning most thigns out of a water supply. However, they do not produce that much water.

#123991 - 02/15/08 10:32 PM Re: locating a WaterCone [Re: Dan_McI]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
If you jsut want to buy something like this, then take a look at: http://www.landfallnavigation.com/memss.html. You might be able to find one elsewhere for a better price.

Kind of disagree with BobS. I think solar still are for when you have water, but you just do not know how clean it is. I'm sure there are a few chemicals that could evaporate and condense with water, but there are few of them. Bacteria and other comtaminants should be left behind in the "brine." A solar still should take care of cleaning most thigns out of a water supply. However, they do not produce that much water.

I have nothing against them, I was pointing out that in my area of the country there is a lot of water around (the great lakes & lots of rivers & ponds, they are everyplace) and with my water filter or boiling water with the Thermette I don’t see the need for a still here. You would have to set up 2-dozen water stills to equal what the Thermette could do in an hour or so.

I don’t think I have camped anyplace or been many places that were more then a few miles from a lot of water.

Someplace with out all the lakes, ponds & rivers would be a good place to set up stills, but here, I don’t see water as a problem.

I have for years wanted to make one to play with just to see how it works, but I never seem to do it…

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#123998 - 02/15/08 11:26 PM Re: locating a WaterCone [Re: RobertNielsen]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
According to the "Watercone" site, they're looking for investors and tooling companies, so it probably isn't truly available to market yet.

#124059 - 02/16/08 07:29 PM Re: locating a WaterCone [Re: Nicodemus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
He's been looking for investors since at least 2004. I guess he hasn't found any. Bulky and pricey, two rather large minuses.

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 393 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
Yesterday at 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.