The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#96815 - 06/07/07 04:38 AM Shiny perfect blades . . . and then Dirty Harry
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Don't know about you, but in my top-drawer collection, there are lots of shiny, gorgeous, brilliantly designed knives. Sypderco, Cold Steel, SOG, all functional works of art, clean, razor sharp, and ready for the next expedition to Everest.

And then, bottom drawer, there's the "Dirty Harry" series -- they always get the s@$% end of the stick. Otherwise known as "shop knives" around here.

They get the cruddy, greasy, edge-mangling, finish-dissolving tasks. Scraping parts, cutting sod, cleaning oily crud out of crevices, spreading or scraping glue and silicone, and cutting things that ought not be cut with a blade (like metal strapping). Sometimes sharpened with a stone, sometimes dragged through a pull-type sharpener, sometimes abused with a file. Knives that do the lousy jobs and get burned up pretty fast.

(My current set includes a Gerber Paraframe that I got for $15, some retired/broken fixed-blade hunting knives, a $5 Husky folder from Home Depot, a couple of Chinese 440 lockback folders ... etc.)

So, knife users, tell me about your "Dirty Harry" knives -- the models you use, what you do to them, and what you expect of them.

#96820 - 06/07/07 05:58 AM Re: Shiny perfect blades . . . and then Dirty Har [Re: dougwalkabout]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I EDC a Kershaw Leek, and it gets lightly abused during everyday use. I know I should go to the other room grab another knife, but this on is already in my pocket. It's even worse when someone asks me to barrow my knife, sometimes what they do with it just makes me cringe. But so far the Leek has held up surprisingly well.

For the really nasty tasks, I have a Husky folding box cutter from home depot. I use this thing for scraping gooey / crusty stuff, cutting dry wall, wire stripping and cutting, and a great number of other uses I wouldn't even consider using one of my shiny knives for, I abuse the heck out of this knife, but I bought a 100 pack of blades to go with it so it's ok. I keep thinking I'll snap the blade in half, yet so far all I've managed to do is dull it or snap the very tip off. Then again I don't really use it for prying at all.

Edited by Rio (06/07/07 06:00 AM)

#96832 - 06/07/07 02:49 PM Re: Shiny perfect blades . . . and then Dirty Har [Re: Rio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
As I have said more than once here, about 90% of everything I do involves my original Leatherman Supertool. The poor ole blade is a tad shorter than it started out (been sharpened a lot, and a few dings and nicks removed from it), but it still does the job, and is always with me. It is about to be replaced by a New Wave tho...

#96835 - 06/07/07 03:09 PM Re: Shiny perfect blades . . . and then Dirty Harry [Re: dougwalkabout]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
It's a 20-year-old Air Force survival knife made by Ontario Knife Company. I use it to cut, chop, and pry anything that doesn't need either a chainsaw or a wrecking bar. It's heavy and clunky and absolutely dependable. Most of the original black coating has worn off, and it's been resharpened a mess of times, which is getting harder given the increasing thickness of the blade as you go back from the edge. I'm going to have to grind a shallow bevel on it soon, or it's going to resemble an axe blade in cross section. Come to think of it, I sort of use it as I would an axe, so why bother?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 675 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.