Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94982 - 05/18/07 02:27 AM GPS in Your Kit?
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
I just ran a search for "GPS" and got NO results; come to think of it I don't remember seeing any posts about GPS either. I carry a small entry level ($119) Garmin MAPPING GPS in my kit as back up to my vehicle nav systems and wonder how many others do the same?

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#94988 - 05/18/07 03:14 AM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: alvacado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Needs to be at least four letters for our search thingy.

Lot of us have them in our gear.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#94997 - 05/18/07 06:45 AM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: ironraven]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I would nearly consider my GPS (Magellan Explorist 210) to be EDC. Then again I also do a fair amount of geocaching.

#95001 - 05/18/07 01:07 PM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: alvacado]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I EDC a Garmin Geko 301. My truck's "nav system" is a Garmin GPS V mapping unit that can be removed from its mount and carried handheld.

#95009 - 05/18/07 03:38 PM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I see a GPS as an essential part of my lost-prevention gear. Still, I ALWAYS recommend that bring (and know how to use) a compass and a map of the area.

Consumer GPS's come in two basic forms:

Basic GPS, that provides location coordinates, stores waypoints, and uses that information to provide bearing direction, routes, speed, etc.. A GPS has the amazing ability to tell you where you currently are on Earth. At a minimum the user needs to be very good at entering waypoints of interest so they can understand where they currently are relative to some know location(s). Even more preferably, the user should also have paper maps and know how to use the GPS to identify the current location on the map, and vise versa.

To learn how to with a GPS and paper topo maps together go to http://www.maptools.com

Mapping GPS, that provides the same capabilities as the basic GPS PLUS comes with some level of map detail that includes roads, cities, trails, etc... The real power of the Mapping GPS is that a user who knows little or nothing about using paper maps can determine where they are relative to the electronic map, they can determine how far they are from features of interest, and some Mapping GPS's can even provide road-routes for driving directions to a given waypoint. My Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx even provides phone numbers for businesses (handy for calling ahead to hotels).

While describing his "10 Essentials" for survival Doug Ritter listed a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries as his first item, and then went on to also recommend:

1. Navigation - a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries, or secondarily a map & compass, and the knowledge to use them together
2. Knife - one-hand opening
3. Fire starter & Tinder
4. Water & water purification
5. Whistle
6. Signal Mirror
7. Duct Tape
8. Shelter - large garbage bags or AMK Heat Sheets blanket
9. Flashlight or Headlamp - LED, lithium battery, with constant-on switch
10. Sunscreen or Insect Repellent
11. Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)

You've heard of 13 being a Baker's Dozen ... this is 11 being a Ritter's Ten.

I really like his list. The mapping GPS helps you from becoming lost. The PLB can call for help as a last resort. The knife, fire gear, water gear, duct tape, shelter, and sunscreen, and bug dope help you surivive until help arrives, and the whistle, signal mirror, and flashlight allow you to get the attention of rescuers both day and night.

#95011 - 05/18/07 04:01 PM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: KenK]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
Garmin Rhino 120, combined radio and GPS. Thinking of updating.

M

#95013 - 05/18/07 04:22 PM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: alvacado]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I keep a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx with me all the time in my EDC bag. Its incredible what this little unit does for its size including managing the entire City Navigator maps and points of interest. I also have a compact suction cup mount that works great for rental cars. My review can be found at Utah Outdoors Product Reviews.

Craig.

#95016 - 05/18/07 04:44 PM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: KenK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My Magellan, with info from their Mapsend Topo downloaded, goes everywhere we go, and if that include some off road or hiking stuff, a map and compass. My biggest problem right now is that the only maps I have been able to come up with for our current location are USFS, and they are a 1:126,720 scale. I am having a little bit of trouble using those maps with the GPS, since I don't have a map tool/scale that matches the scale of the map, so I can't easily find my location on paper after consulting the GPS...

#95018 - 05/18/07 05:30 PM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I have a Palm PDA on me all the time. Plus, the real digital wonder - the Holux GPSlim 240. It's so small and lightweight (~1oz) that I don't hesitate to carry it on me all the time too. It's connecting to PDA wirelessly by Bluetooth, works around 8 hours on full charge, very sensitive, accurate (SiRF III), and fast starting. The most reliable mapping software is Mapopolis. (TomTom is nicer in the car, but not for hiking or for any long trips into rural destinations). For hiking with custom made raster maps I'm using PathAway software.

The main problem was the power. Solved it by making a custom fit solar charger. It's less than 1oz and the size is like a piece of cardboard ( 3 x 4 1/2 x 1/16 inch ) folded. Produces 7V 480mA, without any hassle catching the sun just laing on the table (it's always on me too smile ).

Edited by Alex (05/18/07 05:34 PM)

#95101 - 05/20/07 03:15 AM Re: GPS in Your Kit? [Re: Alex]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
How'd you go about making the charger? Where'd the materials come from, cost, etc? Great idea....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 382 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.