Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#25385 - 03/05/04 01:06 PM Condom Conundrum
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
I must admit this is mostly a curiosity question, I like ziplocks.
I've often read about using a condom as a method of water storage. Authors go to great lengths in their description of how to get water into the condom and carry it with out breaking the little sucker, but I've yet to read how one gets it out. Lets assume I manage to get a gallon of water into one and I put it into a sleeve or sock to transport it. At some point I'm going to need to drink it. So what do I do? Do I hold the bottom of it with one hand, grab the knot, stretch them apart and then bite a hole into the airspace between the two? Lets say I do that and manage not to break the latex bugger and drink a quart, and then manage to put another knot in it. It seems risky to go through this process once with something as important as water, and the risk is multiplied every time one needs a drink. Is there some other way to do it? Am I missing something?
Biscuits

#25386 - 03/05/04 02:02 PM Re: Condom Conundrum
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wrestled with the same issues, which is one reason I opted for a Reynolds oven cooking bag in my mini-PSK (they come already folded flat and take up almost no space) and freezer grade ZipLocs in my regular PSK. But even beyond that was, well, the yeeeeecccchhhhhhhhh factor – drinking from a condom. I just couldn’t go there.

#25387 - 03/05/04 02:13 PM Re: Condom Conundrum
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i don't use condoms for water carry either, wenn the latex overcome the pressure from the water ( wenn the botom is to high compaired to the end ) it will press all the water out in very little time. I can't seam to untie tied of condom either. you can NOT fill a condom with a gallon savely, lets keep it on 2 pint/1 quarter/liter. I use ziplocks in mine smallest kit too. I heard that there are other uses for condoms, which ziplocks can't: to make some kind of valve with a iv needle wenn you have punctured a lung ( unless you know how to do this and are trained, please DON'T ), a non stick layer to prevent bandaged from sticking to burned skin ( uh.. medics any info on this ? ), you can use it to suck up water with a straw and you can use it as a bungee. but there are beter, MUCH beter alternative's for these purposes ! A ziploc outperform condoms in keeping things dry.

i think ranger rick has a pic of him drinking from a condom... can't seem to find it

#25388 - 03/05/04 04:56 PM Re: Condom Conundrum
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
For those who are interested - the procedure is called a needle decompression and it is the treatment for a tension pnumothorax (air build up in the chest cavity), it can be caused by numerous things including external trauma (broken rib penetrating the lung) an/or in individuals with chronic lung disease, who can experience a spontaneous rupture of the lung. Most EMS providers who are trained to perform this technique will use a finger from a latex or nitrile glove to create what is called a flutter valve (lets air out, blocks it from coming back in) and is used in conjunction with an I.V. catheter. Pete

#25389 - 03/05/04 05:20 PM Re: Condom Conundrum
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
After reading about the breast milk storage bags ( thank you, Doug), I replaced the condoms in my kits with them. Much sturdier and easier to fill. I was able to roll 2 up and fit them in the PSK.

#25390 - 03/07/04 07:54 AM Re: Condom Conundrum
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
The concept of a condom used as a water bag in a kit is simply based on the idea that it takes up the least amount of storage space for the amount of water that it will hold. To get the water out depends on the style of closure. You can tie a knot in it but will probably break it in the untying. Tie a piece of cord around the neck. Then untie, drink and the retie. If the name bothers you think of it as a balloon or substitute a balloon.

That answers the questions. Personally I myself prefer othe style contiers. The deciding factor is ruggedness over compactness.

We also must remember that when the inclusion of a condom as a water container most of the modern products refered to did not exist. No zip loc bags or other collapsable containers. In most cases the only other things available were rigged containers and most of the were metal. Those containers were far larger than the kits themselves..

Progress as made more options available.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#25391 - 03/07/04 05:17 PM Re: Condom Conundrum
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
Thanks for the responses. That was how I saw it, especially the historic reference.
Biscuits

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.