Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#13913 - 03/13/03 10:38 PM PSK signal mirror
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm still putting together my 1st PSK in an altoids tin and appreciate everyone's input here.
For a signal mirror, I purchased a lightweight signal mirror, which is really just heavy plastic. I cut it to the size of the tin cover, put a peel away sheet on to protect it, and attached it to the inside of the lid with a small peice of double stick tape. It is held in place firmly, but can also be peeled off the cover for use so I don't need to worry about the tin spilling when I signal.
Any thoughts on better ways to do this are appreciated, and thanks again!
-Dave

#13914 - 03/14/03 09:32 AM Re: PSK signal mirror
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
What about a small piece of velcro? I have the smaller military version of a signal mirror velcro(ed? technology rears its ugly head in spelling) to the inside of my psk. Just about a perfect fit, although, when the mirror's removed, the velcro does attract tinder (lint). Just another feature....

#13915 - 03/14/03 01:19 PM Re: PSK signal mirror
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

im not sure witch signal mirror you mean, but if you got a "feather weight" mirror it will do just fine. it's a good compromise of size/weight and effectiveness. atleast thats mine mine opinion.
if you got a big and thick mirror throw it in your pockets.
most guys don't put a fullsized signal mirror in the tin, they take to much space. usually the fullsized mirror is carried in something else (pockets). A improvised mirror is usually throw in a PSK to conserve space and weight. usually just some shiny sheats with peel-off sheet to protect it and a small hole in the middel for aiming. if you can't find it you take alumium tape and polisch it with silver polish, put the tape on peel off backing or tape it on your tin.

just mine 2 cents

#13916 - 03/14/03 02:18 PM Re: PSK signal mirror
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I doubt that my way is any "better" than yours, but it works for me.

I taped the corner of a plastic storage envelope to the top (inside) of my PSK and put the mirror in there, along with my psk cheat sheet (phone card numbers, emergency nrs etc). I use the mirror a lot.

I made mine out of a metal coleman mirror. Not too bad, not as good as glass, but servicable. I cut it down to the right size with a dremel tool rather than shears as shears distorted the metal more than the dremel tool. It is a dual sided mirror so I drilled a hole in it so I can aim it better.

I like the metal mirror. I tried plastic, but could not find a plastic 2 sided mirror. Putting two plastic ones back to back was too thick. Coleman Metal Mirror is $1.50usd. The commercial mylar mirrors are too thick.

nomad

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.