I have never really carried a PSK per se, I usually just take the things I need in my pockets. I recently moved to a place with lots of water and have got back into kayaking. Since in a kayak I am only wearing shorts with no pockets, flip flops(maybe) and a life vest I figured there may be some merit to putting a few things in a small survival tin in case I wipe out and am left only with what is in my vest.
I hit the work bench the other night and crafted several of these to place in my vests.

[img:center][/img]

In no real order, each tin contains:

1. Starflash signal mirror
2. 6 lifeboat matches/striker (vacuum sealed)
3. ranger firesteel w/striker
4. Jetscream whistle
5. Inova squeeze light (white) in mini zip lock bag
6. mini compass
7. BCB wire saw with rings
8. 6 cotton tinder
9. 2 heavy duty safety pins
10. Mini Swiss army knife
11. Approx 20 feet of heavy duty nylon twine
12. 2L zip lock bag
13. Heavy duty sail needle (taped to inside of lid)

Items packed inside tin.

Once each tin was complete I wrapped several lengths of gorilla tape round each to at least help with keeping out water and super glued a large strip of reflectivle/glow in the dark tape to the top and bottom to aid finding it if dropped. (in theory anyway)

The tin is placed in a mesh pocket along with a heat sheats brand survival blanket in a small zip lock to prevent it being rubbed around too much in the vest. I secured the flap with a large safety pin to hold it closed in the event the velcro may fail. Not shown is a separate, small but stocked First aid kit which is secured in the opposite mesh pocket.

I intend to add some MP1 water purification tabs when I find some, but in the meantime the FA kit has a small vial of iodine should I need to purify some drinking water.

All my other gear is stowed in the compartments in the kayak but would be hard to get to in a hurry. If I get separated from my gear I will have this much at least. I am confident I could ride out a couple of nights with this if I had no choice.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Thanks folks.

Edited by Stephen (08/08/12 01:22 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling