We all talk about having a BOB and a number of us have them as well as our EDC bags. Some of my BOB stuff is my EDC stuff and vise a versa. As I have been building and modifying PSKs, EDCs, FSKs and a BOB over the years I am coming to the conclusion that maybe one bag is not quite, the right idea.

My EDC bag is always stuffed and a BOB as a single unit is fairly heavy. So, I am thinking about layering bags as we do with clothing.

Like some of you I am a big Maxpedition fan and have bought and used at different times the following: a Fatboy, a Jumbo, a Thermite, a DevilDog, a Proteus, and a Typhoon all of which I still have. Where I'm heading with this idea is to start sorting all the different, PSK, EDC, FSK and BOB items across these 6 bags, more or less.

Currently my EDC bag is the Jumbo which is stuffed with my EDC items as well as an extended PSK and basic FSK. The Proteus makes a great extend tool bag. The Typhoon approaches a mini BOB with an extended FSK. The DevilDog is carrying a hammock and tarps while the Fatboy is carrying emergency food and water rations.

I am thinking about moving the PSK items to the Thermite which is worn around the waist and strapped to a leg. Move the EDC items to the Fatboy along with the basic FSK, which will be lighter to carry on a daily basis. Beef up the emergency rations and water and put them in the Jumbo. The Typhoon will
continue as the mini BOB and extended FSK. The DevilDog will continue to be the storage for shelter and the Proteus as a tool bag.

Spreading things out to several bags will allow easier access to the different items than if they were just in one or 2 bags. It will also allow me to distribute the weight, hand off bags to others, or allow me to ditch or secret away bags as needed. The flip side to this is the need to handle multiple bags and attention needs to be payed when grabbing the bags in a rush. A number of these bags can be fastened together to make things easier but again at the cost is a single heavy unit.

What do you all think and have any of you done something similar?

Edited by Homer (07/09/08 03:31 AM)