What a difference money makes.

The vast majority, dare I say ALL of the people evacuating from the fires have cars, money and insurance.

I spotted this tidbit in the news:

" SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- The wildfires in California have forced an exodus of estimated 950,000 people from their homes. But where have they all gone?

The American Red Cross reported Wednesday that only a small fraction of the nearly 1 million evacuees have been spending the past few nights at dozens of designated shelters stretching from San Diego County to Los Angeles County."

They are staying in Hotels and with friends.

1 MILLION PEOPLE DISPLACED.
I'm so sorry to disappoint all of those who expect the total collapse of society after a major disaster, however, once again, evidence is showing that people - even ill-equipped people - will try to help in the majority of bad situations. Katrina was a bad situation, but an exception caused, I think, by a presumption that virtually every can do what the people in California did - jump in the car and GO. I'm sure as this all winds down, we'll hear more about it, but this affirms my firm conviction that with a little leadership and a little planning, people pull together in a crisis.