A worthwhile discussion so far on ETS, as this is truly a survival issue with global implications.
My family is quietly beginning to prepare for the worst; here in Australia we are as much in the frontline as anywhere.
A recently produced documentary, backed by National Geographic and other reputable institutions, raised some interesting points:

* Avian flu is not the actual killer. The virus, or mutants of it, trigger the human immune system. The strong, fit, and young die because they have the best immune systems. We drown as our immune system tries to beat the invaders.

* The next key indicator to a pandemic will be confirmed human-to-human infection.

* The great fear among experts is that the virus becomes air-borne, with human to human infection ability.

* Official, ie Government and WHO responses rely on extermination of poultry populations and careful screening at national borders. But there are no guarantees here.

* It doesn't matter whereabouts in the 'western world' you live; hospitals, and all our usual medical backup, will not be able to cope. Science, and government agencies are in constant catch-up mode.

* A vaccine, even if it is efficacious for the latest variation of H5N1, will be available only to a minority, typically those in the frontline: the military, police, hospital, medical and vital industry.

On a personal note, living in a typical suburb, I have a decision to make if there is a pandemic: Do my family 'hunker down' in our home, Or do we 'go bush' ? , as we say in Australia.
My instinct is to 'go bush' ; I just believe I already have the equipment, the survival skills and with preparation and common sense, the ability to isolate my family from human contact for weeks.

Yes, I do understand that migratory birds fly over and infect the most remote places on earth, and yes I do understand that a bio-lab is ultimately the only defence against a mutated airborne H5N1 virus.
In this 'worst case' scenario, I can see that convincing my family to continue wearing respirators in the bush [ the type that provides best protection against actually inhaling a virus ] will be very difficult.
Not to mention dealing with all the other sorts of privations that flow from removing ourselves from the rest of the human race.
It all sounds terrifyingly selfish, individualistic and Darwinian.
But I still see it is better to discuss these issues with loved ones in a sober and calm fashion BEFORE it all becomes a huge public affair.
Cheers, PeterR