Another "new gear" report:

Wife and I now understand why our kids like hydration packs so much. Picked up a couple of 100oz (3 liter) CamelBak packs at a decent price locally and used them for two weeks in CO. (OK; I confess - I also caried a liter Nalgene bottle - ya never know!). Uh, I think they are the "RimRock" model - about 1,700 cubic inches space for other gear, anyway, plus a double daisy-chain / bungee cord on the outside. Like I said, they were available locally for an attractive price...

These things rock. It took about 1 hour to get accustomed to sipping water thru a bite valve. (after one use we even hung them off the neck rests on our truck seats when traveling and flopped the hose over a shoulder). I'll spare you the raving, but we really really like these gadgets as a method of staying hydrated. (And yes, I will continue to carry a Nalgene + cup or US canteen + cup - belt-and-suspenders man, yup, that's me...)

Kids started out with plain-vanilla Platypus 70oz (2 liter). (great sale a couple of years ago from Campmor) - the "Big Zip" reservoirs and an insulated simple carrying bag for the back. The "hydra lock" valve from CamelBak is a "must-do" improvement for the Platypus stuff - otherwise, the Platypus bags have worked fine for the kids. Some of the kids have migrated to CamleBak products over the past year (Omega reservoir system) - they wanted something more functional as a daypack. Various models... one kid simply dropped the Platypus (whole) into a favorite daypack and accomplished the same effect. Both brands seem reliable, altho I do rec. adding a shut-off valve to the Platypus.

Late in the trip I switched to the insulated hose (really for cold wx use) and am satisfied with it in hot wx. No valve on it; merely a cover on the valve. No bite valve leaks. We'll see how it does in sub-freezing temps - can always clear out the hose after a sip so I don't reckon it's critical.

Observation 1: 100 oz is more convenient than 70 oz.

Observation 2: I'm still gonna carry a conventional water bottle (or more likely US canteen)... simple is good... (no use trying to talk me out of it...)

Observation 3: Local PX is gonna get an order for a military model CamelBak I have an eye on - the model I have is just right for non-winter day trips but not quite enough capacity for cool wx overnights or winter day trips.

Regards,

Tom