I've been reading, with interest, the "Interesting opinion about survival kits" post. The first thing that stands out is the impressive knowledge and skill of numerous individuals. The second is the contrast of opinions on what does, or does not belong in a PSK. The one thing they all have in common is that they are all correct. This forum is outstanding for its intended purpose: a place for people of similar interests to share ideas, experiences and opinions. A PSK is like a pair of boots; some people spend $20.00 at Pay Less and are just as comfortable as the person who spends $300.00 at Cabelas. The only perfect PSK for me would be my house (garage with vehicle included) with pack straps on it and someone else carrying it.

The truth is, there is no such thing as the "perfect" PSK for the masses, only for the individual carrying it. That might sound strange coming from someone who owns a survival kit business, but it's a fact. I don't market my company to this forum because, first of all, the reason I enjoy this site so much is because it is not a commercial arena spewing hype. The other reason is that most members of this forum already have a PSK of their own design. My company is primarily geared toward military special operations personnel, which is where my experience is based. Are my kits perfect for every member of my target audience? No way! A ready-made kit has to "speak" to the individual buying it. Even then, it probably needs some minor personalization. A personally built kit is the best way to go, even though it is more time consuming and usually more expensive.

Even though I've been teaching and training survival for 20 years, I hardly consider myself an expert. I've been shaving nearly every day for 25 years and I still nick myself from time to time. Stay away from the self-proclaimed expert and trust your instincts, but don't be afraid to ask questions and take suggestions. I've learned a lot from people with less experience than me. Doug Ritter is probably the most knowledgeable person I've conversed with on survival/gear related subjects and I doubt if he considers himself an "expert".

Some people from this forum have voiced their opinion that food items are "fluff" and have no place in a survival kit. They are absolutely correct that they have no place in THEIR kit. I've been in a few situations where I would have paid $200 to lick a bouillon cube and I consider myself a fairly hearty individual. To some, I might be considered psychologically challenged because of this weakness, but luckily they don't write my paycheck, or pack my gear. It all goes back to PERSONAL survival kit. People might laugh at you as you pull your fully laden Red Ryder wagon through the bush, but as long as you have the gear YOU want... you are loving life!

To all, keep up the great comments and keep teaching me stuff, George